13 || 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐋 𝐏𝐀𝐓𝐇

𝐀𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚-𝐉𝐚𝐝𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

This wasn't the first time I had an intense workout, especially one as interesting as the routine I wrapped up in the lair. I never felt so sore in my life! Well, I have... in different circumstances.

Going to work at the diner the next morning was painful, and I dreaded every minute of it since I could hardly move. Each limb of mine is like a jello dish and is heavier than a sack of ten-pound dumbells. The finished plates and empty glasses I carried from table to table weren't easy like they usually are. My forearms and biceps were burning, aching, and throbbing every time I used them.

Donnie's little 'jacket' training was seriously interesting and weird at the same time, but it was somewhat useless, too. It was incredibly awkward to be 'training' in front of the mutant family, being watched like a performing animal for the circus. With the silence surrounding me yesterday in the dojo, I almost lost the courage to keep the jacket training going. But with my courage and confidence building higher, I continued to do what Donnie told me to do.

When I finished my first day of training, Leonardo, that leader in his blue mask and katanas sitting on his shell, looked me in my eyes. His eyes are so serene and heavenly, possessed with a gentle atmosphere. I couldn't stop staring at his muscular build, the way his arms and shoulders curved and arched made the hairs on my neck stand on end. His soft expressions gave me a sense of peace for the very first time in so, so long, sending a signal to my traumatized mind that I was safe here. Again, there is that smidge of being aware I'm not entirely safe.

I took the filthy and grimy plates and other additional dishes in the kitchen, placed them beside the dishwasher, and scrubbed quickly. Turning away, I see Rocky is walking into the kitchen with her own dirty plates she found at the tables she cared for. "Hey, girl." She greeted me for the first time since I began my shift just thirty minutes ago. "Are you okay? You look exhausted." She says, wiping her hands on her apron.

I nod quickly. "Yes, I just had an intense arm workout yesterday."

Rocky's eyes widened for a split second. "Oh, I didn't know you exercised." She chuckled jokingly. "You got a personal trainer, or do you prefer to be by yourself?"

"Personal trainer," I said, walking to the front counter of the diner.

She gasped lightly. "What's his name?" Rocky asked in a sing-songy tone, leaning her body on the countertop with her chin resting in her palm.

I instantly smile at her. "Who said I was being trained by a guy?"

Rocky slapped the counter playfully. "Jade, come on! Most trainers are men." She said. "So? Who is he? Is he cute? Does he have a brother or a best friend?"

Now, I'm not sure how to answer these questions. Is he cute? I mean, he's a turtle and I don't know how to approach my honest answer. Leo does have charming eyes and great intentions to protect others. Does he have a brother or a best friend? Well, he's got three brothers and a rat for a father. I'd say I got a C+ on this Q&A by Rocky.

I shrugged at her, wiping down the front counter with a damp rag. Without thinking, I blurted my response to her. "He's got three brothers and... eh, I guess he's good-looking..." I trail off, realizing what I had just said.

Did I just admit what I thought of Leo? Pfft, there's no way I could have these sorts of thoughts for him or any of those brothers! Leo is just a friend.

A friend.

Only a friend.

A friend who stared into my eyes and then I felt an odd connection...