010

Violet | May 2nd, 2024

The trip to Australia was longer than I remembered, and after almost a full day of travelling and a another of sleeping, I finally woke up for long enough to enjoy some time with Georgia. She took me to Simon Says, her favourite fast food restaurant from back home, and we passed the time by simply talking and enjoying each other's company.

"Is this the best chicken sandwich you've ever had?" Georgia asked, groaning with happiness as she bit into the sandwich.

"It's pretty good," I said reluctantly, having defended one of our favourite places in Blacksburg with my life, but Georgia had always sworn by this one. I was beginning to see her point.

"I dare you to find a better chicken sandwich than this one, Vi."

"I could try..." I grumbled, going in for another too-large bite. I took a second to finish chewing before voicing a thought: "Do you think Connecticut has any good chicken sandwiches?"

"I'm not sure, but I do know that they have a pretty damn good looking Croatian point guard...you should ask her about chicken sandwiches." Georgia teased, a smile wide on her face. She had been nagging me constantly about what was going on between us; it seemed like she really wanted us to become us, like a package deal or something.

"I want to talk about this chicken sandwich instead," I groaned, hiding my face behind my hands.

Georgia simply shook her head, deciding that she absolutely needed to hear about my love life right now, and that she no longer cared for the chicken sandwich. "How was UConn? How was your favourite teammate?" She asked with a suggestive smirk plastered on her face. Nika and Georgia had known each other from the time they moved to America. They met at NBA Academy and had been friends ever since. They were still pretty close, so I was convinced that Nika was telling her information I wasn't aware of, because Georgia asked about it so much.

"UConn was good," I said dryly.

"Nope! I will not take that! How is Nika? Did you guys kiss yet?"

"Well, not exactly, but—"

"I was just joking!" She cut me off, cracking up: "did something actually happen?!"

"No, not really. When I woke up the morning after I landed, Nika and Paige were over. Paige and Azzi are long-time friends so I guess she tends to stay over a lot, and when Paige comes Nika does too. Anyways, I was sitting at the island watching Paige flirt with Azzi, when Nika came up behind me—"

"AHHHH"

"—and she put her hands on the table, on either side of me. It was probably unintentional, but it was like she was boxing me in. Then she started talking about how she usually sleeps in my room. I guess it was like her unassigned room, because it was empty and Paige stayed with Azzi. She said I stole it from her, and I made a joke about her having to sleep with me now—"

"Flirting, not joking."

"—which she apparently didn't like, because she stormed off. And then Azzi cornered me and tried to tell me I'm in love with her, but Nika hates me so it doesn't matter. Apparently she has something against teammates; I don't know. Anyways, the next morning she had stayed over again. Az and P had left, and Nika didn't have a key to their dorm, so she was stuck in her pyjamas—which really didn't leave much to the imagination—"

"You were staring at her ass?!"

"—and she looked really upset when she realized she was stuck in her pyjamas, so I offered her some of my clothes—"

"Then what?!"

"Oh my gosh, Georgia, if you stopped cutting me off maybe I would tell you!" I exclaimed, laughing at her eagerness. She mumbled a sorry and took a bite of her food, nodding for me to continue. "She chose one of my Hokies crews, which she thought was hilarious. Anyways, she went into my closet and I thought she was changing, but she came out in just a bra. She asked me to help her with her necklaces because they were all twisted and caught in her hair and stuff. And, you know, being that close when she's wearing so little clothing is just uncomfortable for both of us, knowing our history. Anyways, as soon as I finished she stormed off again."

"Holy shit," she commented.

"And then," I continued, nodding exaggeratedly, "a bunch of us were watching a movie. Nika offered to make everyone popcorn and grab drinks, and I went to grab some drinks to help her out. You know, because so many people asked for them." Georgia nodded sarcastically, a knowing smirk on her face, as if she was trying to imply that I was doing it to get Nika alone. "So anyways, and the cups are above the microwave—"

"Oh my God, you didn't!"

"I reached over her to grab some cups, and she spun around right as I went for the knob. I swear there was someone pushing me towards her, because it just felt impossible to pull away. I literally couldn't help it, my hands were on her neck and waist so fast. I don't even remember putting them there, and she was holding onto the counter like she needed to, but she was the one leaning in. Like I swear, she was staring at my lips."

"So you guys did kiss?!" She asked excitedly.

"No, because the microwave went off and she ran away as fast as she could with that damn bowl. Like, fuck."

"You have it bad," she responded, jabbing her finger towards my face. Georgia's cheeks were flushed and her lips were curved into a big smile. Her excitement about the situation was nearly contagious.

"I can't help it! Have you seen her?" I asked dramatically, throwing my head back and thinking about her eyes, her hair, her smile. Her voice, her back, her lips.

"I have, actually! She is glorious."

"And her accent..."

"I have an accent," Georgia said.

"I do not have a crush on you, Georgia, we've been over this—"

"So you admit you have a crush on her?!" She asked, that grin back on her face.

I sighed dramatically before nodding, and Georgia clapped. I tried desperately to think of something I could throw on her to defend myself, but I struggled. "UConn is good," I summed, "but it's not Blacksburg, and that scares me. I had fun, but I don't have you or Liz there, and I have Nika, which is just more confusion."

Georgia patted my knee comfortingly. "It's different, but I know you'll be able to get used to it. You've overcome so much adversity since I met you, Vi; why let it phase you now?"

Georgia was right, as per usual. I nodded, "I miss you. I miss Liz."

"I miss Liz, too." She replied, leaning her head back into her seat. Liz wasn't in college anymore and had managed to get drafted on the other side of the country, so we were definitely missing our time with her. As much as I loved hanging out with Georgia, nothing would ever top the nights the three of us spent together in Georgia's senior year. They were both my best friends and I couldn't imagine having one without the other.

"What do you think she's doing right now?"

"Sleeping. It's like 3 am there." Georgia replied, glancing at her watch.

"Man, I can't wait for the next break," I sighed.

A/N
THANK YOU FOR 2K READS & 100 VOTES?!? ❤️❤️
Short one/fillerrr
I've been working on some other fics so if you're interested in reading a better book of mine stay tuned!!