Auction

The living room was a sea of anticipation. Soumya, her parents, and her brother Ayush sat huddled together on the couch, eyes glued to the television. The WPL auction was in full swing, and the atmosphere was electric with excitement and nerves.

Ayush
Here we go your name should be coming up soon, Soumya.
slightly on the edge of his seat.

Soumya nodded, trying to keep her nerves in check. Her father's words from earlier in the day echoed in her mind. She took a deep breath, hoping for the best.

"And now," the announcer's voice boomed from the TV, "we come to Soumya Mehra, the star all-rounder. Let's start the bidding.

The room fell silent, the tension palpable. The first bid came quickly, and Soumya's heart skipped a beat as the numbers climbed higher. Then, the moment she had hoped for arrived.

"RCB bids to retain Soumya Sharma!"

Her family erupted in cheers, the room filled with jubilation. Her father clapped his hands together, a broad smile lighting up his face. "I knew it! I had a feeling!"

Ayush leapt off the couch and hugged Soumya tightly.

Ayush
you did it, Soumya! You're staying with RCB!

Her mother joined in the embrace, tears of joy glistening in her eyes. "We are so proud of you, beta!"

Soumya felt a rush of happiness, her heart swelling with pride and relief. But amid the celebrations, a familiar face flashed in her mind....

A boy and girl settled on the bench

Girl
you know vee I want to play for rcb...

Boy
of course my somu just like you always say that you have my aashriwat now iam saying you have my aashriwat...

~

Meanwhile, in a quiet apartment on the other side of the city, a man sat alone, watching the same broadcast. Virat leaned back in his chair, his face illuminated by the flickering screen. When Soumya's name was announced and RCB's bid was confirmed, a faint smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

"Maybe we'll meet again," he murmured to himself, a hint of sadness in his voice. "But I hope we don't."

He turned off the TV, the room plunging into silence. The memories of their shared dreams and the piece of drawing he still kept in his drawer came rushing back. He stood up and walked to his dresser, pulling out the other half of the drawing.

Tracing the lines with his fingers, Virat sighed deeply. He was proud of Soumya, proud that she had stayed true to their childhood dream. But the paths they had taken in life had diverged so sharply that he wasn’t sure if meeting again would bring closure or more pain.

Back in her family home, Soumya excused herself from the celebrations for a moment and went up to her room. She needed a moment to herself, to process everything. She opened her drawer and took out the half of the drawing. Holding it, she whispered to herself, "I really wish we never meet."

thank you for reading
please comment and vote 🩵