CHAPTER ONE

THE HIRING OF SURYA MISAL──────   the unwilling assistant

────── the unwilling assistant

NOTHING MORE WELCOMING THAN TWO skeletons in military uniform unwillingly marching Surya into a pitch black mansion.

Surya wasn't sure what she had expected, but she thought that making all the furniture shades of coal, obsidian, and midnight was beyond cliche, and a definite mood killer. She'd read before that rooms with walls painted brighter shades improved mood and perception of space. Maybe that was why the skeletons were in a hissy mood.

They had grabbed her by the forearm with their, well, bones, and dragged her around taking an incredible amount of stairs and turns into the structure before they left her on a black velvety sofa. Before shutting the door behind them, one of the skeletons made a 'stay' gesture. What was she, a dog? Besides, where did they think she was going to run off to?

Surya decided to forgive them — they didn't have the vocal chords, tongues, and other parts required to be able to speak to her anyway. Again, Surya waited for an unmeasurable amount of time until the door creaked open.

She didn't catch sight of the person that had come to speak to her full minutes into the door opening, and she understood why once their face came into view.

The man was like, a million years old. His skin sagged an amount Surya didn't even know was possible to sag, and his knees quivered with every step he took. He had thick glasses and pale, papery skin. Donned in a checkered black button up shirt with black trousers, he looked dignified. He even had a cane of black and silver helping him walk. His hair was the brightest shade of white she'd ever seen, though that was probably thanks to the contrast the environment provided.

Surya stood up when the man walked in. He was shorter than she'd expected.

"Pleasant night to you." He said, his voice both raspy and wet at the same time.

He absolutely looked like he belonged in the underworld. In fact, he looked like he should have long since retired from it.

"Hello." Surya said politely, holding her hand out for him to shake, "I'm Surya Misal. Pleasure to meet you. You are?"

The old man smiled, and his grip was stronger than Surya had expected. "I am Geras. You are the newest recruit, correct? Please, follow me."

"To where?" Surya asked, though she was already way ahead of the man, holding the door open for him.