CHAPTER 5: A RETURN TO NORMALCY

The drive back to the city was subdued. The group, now more tightly knit than ever by the harrowing experience they had just endured, was still reeling from the betrayal and the sudden, violent unraveling of their weekend getaway. Alex drove in silence, his knuckles white on the steering wheel, eyes fixed on the road ahead but mind replaying the events at the cabin over and over.

Beside him, Grace stared out the window, lost in thought. Occasionally, she would glance at Alex, trying to read his expression, but his face was a mask of determination. In the backseat, David, Hannah, and Irene sat quietly, each absorbed in their own thoughts.

It wasn't until they reached the city limits that David spoke up. "We need to go to the police. We can't just let this go."

Alex nodded. "I know. We'll go as soon as we get back. We have all the evidence we need now."

The car ride continued in silence, each friend contemplating the difficult task ahead. When they finally reached the city, Alex drove straight to the police station. They parked the car and walked inside, their resolve bolstered by the knowledge that they were doing the right thing.

They were greeted by a young officer at the front desk. "Can I help you?" he asked, noticing the somber expressions on their faces.

"We need to speak with someone about a murder," Alex said, his voice steady.

The officer's eyes widened slightly, but he nodded and led them to a small conference room. "I'll get a detective. Please wait here."

Minutes later, Detective Lisa Harper entered the room. She was a middle-aged woman with sharp eyes and a no-nonsense demeanor. She sat down across from them, her expression serious. "I'm Detective Harper. I understand you have information about a murder?"

Alex nodded and began to explain everything, from their arrival at the cabin to the discovery of Fiona's body and the subsequent investigation they had undertaken. He handed over Fiona's diary, the letters, and the photographs they had found.

Detective Harper listened intently, occasionally asking questions to clarify details. When Alex finished, she leaned back in her chair, her brow furrowed in thought. "This is a lot to take in," she said. "But you've done the right thing by coming here. We'll need to take statements from all of you, and we'll need to verify this evidence."

The next few hours were a blur of interviews and paperwork. Each member of the group recounted their experiences in detail, their memories still raw and vivid. By the time they were done, they were exhausted, both physically and emotionally.

Detective Harper assured them that the police would investigate thoroughly. "You've given us a lot to work with," she said. "But it's going to take time. I suggest you all go home and try to get some rest. We'll be in touch."

The friends left the police station feeling a mix of relief and apprehension. They had done what they could, but the uncertainty of the investigation weighed heavily on their minds.

Over the next few days, life slowly began to return to normal, though the events at the cabin lingered in the back of their minds. Alex returned to work, trying to focus on his projects, but his thoughts kept drifting back to Fiona and the mystery they had unraveled. He found himself checking his phone constantly, waiting for updates from Detective Harper.

One evening, a week after they had returned, Alex received a call from the detective. "We've made some progress," she said. "Can you come down to the station?"

Alex's heart raced as he agreed. He quickly called the others, and they all met at the police station, anxious for news.

Detective Harper met them in the same conference room and began to explain. "We've identified the man in the photograph. His name is Michael Bennett. He has a history of criminal activity, including fraud and money laundering. We believe he was involved in a larger criminal network, and Fiona must have uncovered something significant."