chapter 1

IT WAS SILENT ON THE HIGHWAY, nobody wanting to speaking after all that has happened. Mila wasn't stupid, she knew that Sophia was most likely dead, no kid survives in this world on their own, hell, most of the group were lucky to have made it this far adult or not. Her knife was heavy in her belt and Mila was itching to get off this highway. The group had cut it close with the herd passing straight through, and it was only a matter of time till another hers comes, and maybe next time they won't be so lucky.

It was in times like these Mila is slightly grateful her sister died. Only slightly. Thinking about her sister is something she does often, in the moments where silence washes over the group and Mila can really think for herself. If Lottie was here right now she'd probably be in a right state, her and Sophia had been friends after all. So was she friends with Carl. Mila hoped Carl was doing okay, the kid was real good. A hopeful kid, it's a shame he's gotta grow up in a messes up world like this. Carl gotta be alive, Mila's not sure she could handle another loss.

"Mila," Dale placed an arm on her shoulder, "we are gonna head up to this farm, you know check it out, you get yourself in that RV." He shook her shoulder slightly, nodding towards the van.

She smiled at him, nodding, making her way into the RV.

"So, do you think it's gonna be safe, this farm?" Glenn asked Mila, moving to sit around the table with her. Mila enjoys Glenns company. He's probably her favourite person right now. Mila doubts it will ever change.

Mila shrugged, "Maybe, anything's better than sitting round on a high way."

Glenn gave her a look, the kind of look that say we are looking for a little girl be nice. Mila really doesn't care for this search, odds are Sophia is dead and instead of being honest with Carol they are feeding into her delusions. Maybe Mila wouldn't be as brutal if things went down different when Lottie had died. But they didn't, so she's really struggling to understand why Carol gets all this sympathy, because she didn't.

"So when are we leaving?" Mila asked Glenn, trying to change topic.

Glenn laughed, "Any minute now."

LUCAS HADN'T COME OUT OF HIS ROOM YET, he didn't want to interact with any of the new arrivals downstairs. He had snuck out of his room last night, to quietly check on the little boy downstairs, his gut churned seeing how young he'd been. The kid survived, Otis didn't. They're having a funeral for him today, and Lucas is bracing himself for the small talk and pity. Him and Otis weren't close or anything but he was a good guy.

He heard the handle go, and Beth Greene walked in. "Dad said you don't gotta come down if you don't want, we know you sneak out at night to avoid speaking to the people." She chuckled quietly.

"They're good people, but they ain't staying, maybe you should come introduce yourself, before they go I mean." She smiled brightly. Lucas doesn't understand how Beth can smile through all this.

Lucas shrugged, looking at Beth, "When it's done, I'll come down and pay my respects." He explained.

Beth come to sit on his bed, "They really ain't that-"

"I'd just like to do it on my own, or maybe you could come with me," he bargained, "I really really don't wanna speak to them people." He sighed, picking up a book from his table.

Beth grinned at him, going in for a hug.

"Woah, okay you're hugging me." Lucas laughed, gently hugging her back.

"Okay, I'll come get ya when they're done." She smiled, leaving his room.

Lucas sighed when she didn't shut the door, "Beth, please close my door!" He yelled down the haul, hearing her giggle away.