The Road Incident

STORY #2

Four high schoolers drove down the narrow road that cuts through a dense wilderness, dominated by tall reaching conifer trees that walled them on both sides.

It was a Friday night, and they were going home after spending time at the movie theater to celebrate the end of the stressful week they all had.

The moon was full, resembling a massive silver coin in the sky, accompanied by clouds that dotted around it ominously. Resembling gnarly and elongated hands.

The friend group consists of two boys and two girls. Brock, Jimmy, Chrissy, and Laura
The boys wear high school jackets, and the girls wear cheerleader dresses in a black and yellow theme.

"Dudes, I think that movie was better than the first one," Jimmy said in the passenger seat.

"I thought so too," Brock said, behind the wheel. "It's kind of rare to make a sequel better than the original."

"That's what happens when they come up with another original idea for a sequel instead of rehashing what they did with the first one," Laura said.

"Ya know, we could have watched it during opening night," Chrissy said. "I don't understand why we needed to wait til Friday."

Brock looks at Chrissy in his review mirror.

"Because I wanted to feel like a reward, Chrissy. High school has been a pain in the ass for all of us for so long; I believe we all deserve a something at the end."

"And in the end, we got ourselves a good movie," Jimmy said. "Shit! At least we got one more month in that nut house and we're out of there... until September, of course."

The whole group chuckled in response.

"Let me open my window. It's hot in here," Laura said.

Laura lowers the window and the wind coming through bombards her solid black hair.
The trees and bushes in her view darted past her in the shapes of blurs.

There was a low-hanging mist present on the road with them. The car's headlight painted it in a dirty, ember glow. Then the car snakes around as the road curves dramatically, and onto their left, there's a break in the trees that allowed them to see the town beyond more trees that slope down hill before being obscured again by vegetation.

Jimmy popped open the glove compartment to get a piece of gum, and inside, he found a silver caliber gun that Brock possessed. He pulls the gun out and shows it off to everyone.

"Look at this! We got a gun dealer in our group!"

"Are you crazy?" Chrissy said, arching an eyebrow. "What if the principal catches you with it?"

"He won't," Brock said, snatching the gun from Jimmy and putting it in his jean pocket.

"And I have every right to have one. It's an evil world we live in, boys and girls. Last time I checked, one of our classmates was found in the woods near our school, torn apart."

"Can we please not talk about that?" Laura said. "It gives me the heebie-jeebies, and anyone in our school could be a suspect, and that's what scares me the most."