The Feast of Fools

"I have never loved a woman the way I have loved you, Vivi. Jesus, don't let him get to you! Once I have enough saved, we can leave here. Together. Please, together."
Viviette buried her face in her knees, the wind quietly humming around her. The grass was cool beneath her feet, the dew from dusk starting to form around her. She could see the light of the slow rising sun from behind her eyelids. She was sure it was beautiful.
Her mind was clouded and her heart was heavy. Sometimes, in the early hours of the morning, she wondered if she made the right decision returning to Paris. Was the loss worth the reward?
She fell back onto the ground and scoffed. What reward? Being locked away in a Palace, forced to be some laundry maid for a power hungry judge?
Viviette was a renowned dancer, loved and craved by everyone in Europe. She had fame and money and..
Her heart sank when she thought about it.
She wasn't happy. There was no point in living a life, if your leash was only at arm's length. At least now she wasn't taken advantage of. While just barely, her life was still her own.
"You'll be my wife one day Viviette, I swear it. I won't take no for an answer."
Droplets of water fell on the young dancer's skin and she opened her eyes at last. She hadn't remembered seeing any storm clouds approaching the day break-
Viviette was on her feet quicker than a hare, dashing back into the Palace. She had fallen asleep, and she had no idea for how long. At that moment, she had never been more thankful to have such strong legs.
She was running furiously, her silver hair flying behind her. She was barefoot, wet, and dirty. She knew this was the least of her problems.
"Viviette."
The girl nearly slammed into him when she rounded the corner. He was dressed plainly, no gaudy robe or hat accompanying him.
"Judge!" She exclaimed much louder than she would have liked. "I was just looking for you."
Judge Frollo raised an eyebrow, looking her up and down. "Were you now?"
She was not. In fact, he was the last person she wanted to see. Her state of being was disastrous. She cursed herself silently, staring up at the man.
"You look like a scullery maid," He said dryly, picking a blade of grass out of her hair. "Where are your shoes?"
Viviette crossed her arms and gave him a sour look, despite her face brightening from the embarrassment. "I am a scullery maid," She shot back. "And.. I'm not sure."
"You're not," Frollo seemed to be holding back a smirk. "Sure."
"I was doing laundry this morning, and forgot to put them back on. Is this an interrogation? I don't remember being put on trial."
The girl could tell he was looking straight through her lies. She hadn't a clue how much trouble she'd be in for being out of the Palace so early, so she felt it better to keep her mouth shut. If she was lucky, he'd let go of it all together.
She had a feeling she wouldn't be.
"Laundry?"
"My job, your honor," She was getting frustrated with his interrogation now. "I wanted to get ahead of it, knowing I'd be out at the festival today. Less work."
She was not a good liar.
Judge Frollo rested a hand on her shoulder, the other on the small of her back, leading her to the closest window. Her blood froze over and she quickly realized her mistake. It was pouring. And she had known that!
She opened her mouth to defend herself, but no words left her lips. She could feel his hand tightening around her shoulder and she squeezed her eyes closed, fearing what he would say next.
"I had the laundry taken care of before you even left your room this morning, Viviette."
"You-"
Chills ran up her spine as she pulled back, her eyes widening. What was he playing at? What was his goal?
He shot her a sly wink. "It's in your best interest not to lie to me next time. I have eyes everywhere."
"Of course," She started, still taken aback. "Your honor. Forgive me."
"You are forgiven," The Judge sighed, stepping away from her. "Unfortunately, it seems our activities are postponed for the time being."
Viviette followed him with her eyes, turning as he began to walk away. "What will you have me do then?"
He didn't turn to face her, but she could hear him chuckle. "I suggest taking the few hours you have to regain the sleep you lost by sneaking out," He looked at her from over his shoulder. "I'll come collect you when the sky has cleared."
She nodded and smiled at him, but didn't say anything else. What an odd day this was going to be.