BLOOD BROTHERS

NOTE: Check out the last part of this chapter. I tacked on the rest of the episode because it ended up being a lot shorter than I thought. Enjoy!

A young boy, murdered, was found in the woods near a private school

A young boy, murdered, was found in the woods near a private school. His name was Justin Prentiss, and he'd only been found the next morning because the school managers had activated his electronic monitoring ankle device and tracked him by GPS. He'd been attending high school at Bright Arch, which seemed to be a secluded operation meant for troubled youths.

According to Jane's preliminary findings, the boy had been in a fight before finally being murdered by a definitive blow to the head.

However, before he'd crawled away to die and be found on the forest floor, Jane had discovered that Justin Prentiss had been buried alive.

|the MENTALIST|

The school manager arranged a meeting to inform the student body of the murder and what the CBI would be needing from them. After the meeting was finished and the students were sent back to their classes, Lisbon sent Cho and Ronnie to talk to the school counselors.

Rigsby tagged along to help check out the kids' bunks when they were finished. After learning very little from the counselors, they picked their way through the tents where the kids stayed.

"I hate the woods." Rigsby sniffed, ruffling through sleeping bags.

Cho shot Ronnie an amused glance. "You'd rather be playing desk jockey with Van Pelt right now?"

Rigsby firmly ignored the teasing. "Who sends their kids to a place like this? It's not cheap, either."

Cho was going through a footlocker. "A little deprivation and discipline is good for the soul."

"Yeah, but this is like a juvie prison camp."

Ronnie searched through another footlocker, coming up with family photos and class notebooks. A whole lot of bupkis.

"No," Cho argued simply. "This is like spring break in Cancun compared to juvie."

Both Ronnie and Rigsby turned to appraise him at the admission. "Wait, you were in juvenile hall?" Rigsby demanded. "Seriously?"

Ronnie hadn't known. She knew about most of Cho's background, but not that. It didn't come as a complete shock, but she certainly hadn't expected it. She supposed even the straight edge has to be sharpened somehow.

"Yeah." Cho flipped through a notebook. "Didn't you read my file?"

"No." Rigsby stood up suddenly. "Wait, did you read mine?"

Ronnie and Cho answered at the same time. "Of course."

Of course they had. They needed all the ammunition against the dork they could get.