Chapter 1 - The Start of Everything

The smell of alcohol wipes pierced through my nose as I stood outside the ward, my hand hesitating on the door handle. Despite having done this before, the harsh scent still managed to sting my senses, serving as a stark reminder of the clinical environment that awaited me inside.

"It's not a big deal," I reassured myself, though the tightening of my stomach betrayed my unease. "Let's get through this again in one piece."

Taking a deep breath, I swiped my access card, anticipating the door to slide open automatically. Yet, to my dismay, it remained stubbornly shut. I tried swiping my card again, but the door showed no signs of budging. "Are you kidding me? Not on my first day, damn it," I muttered under my breath, frustration bubbling up within me. Is this really happening to me?

As I pondered my predicament, a group of doctors began their morning rounds and were heading towards my ward. Without hesitation, I hurriedly fell into step behind them, determined not to be left stranded outside. With a quickened pace, I managed to slip through the narrowing gap just before the door threatened to close behind me. As I stepped into the ward, I was immediately enveloped by the familiar sights and sounds of the medical setting. But alongside that familiarity, there lingered an ominous feeling, a sense of foreboding that I couldn't quite shake.

"What is this?" I wondered, my heart racing with a sudden surge of panic. "Is this the beginning of the end?"

Doubt crept in, gnawing at the edges of my confidence. "I can't do this," I thought, the weight of uncertainty bearing down on me like a heavy burden. "Is it too late to call it quit?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 weeks ago.....

"So Lina, which ward are you going for your last clinical?" Joy's question cut through the chatter of the bustling cafeteria as we settled down with our trays of food. A smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I glanced at her, a rush of warmth flooding my chest at the sight of my best friend. Joy had always been by my side since our first year of nursing school, a constant source of support and encouragement through the ups and downs of our journey. Nursing school had been no walk in the park, but with Joy by my side, it had felt more like an adventure. I took a moment to chew on my sandwich before responding to Joy's question, the taste of the food suddenly bland in my mouth as my mind drifted to my disappointment.

"Well, my first option was medical neurology, so I was really hoping to get it, but..." I trailed off, my voice growing quieter with each word, a heavy sigh escaping my lips. Across from me, Joy paused mid-bite, her spoon hovering in the air as she noticed the change in my expression. Concern etched across her features, she set down her utensil and leaned in closer. "Hey, what's wrong?" she asked, her voice soft with empathy.

I swallowed hard, struggling to put my feelings into words. "I didn't get it, Joy," I admitted, my voice tinged with disappointment. "They assigned me to surgical neurology"

"No way! Don't tell me! Is it that same hellish ward we worked at during our year 1 days?" Joy asked in disbelief.

I nodded slightly, feeling a shiver run down my spine at the memory. The flashback of those days in the surgical neurology ward still haunted me. I remember how I swore that I would never come back to that place ever again. But here I was, fate or irony playing its hand, stuck once again in the very ward I had hoped to avoid. "I guess karma is a bitch," I muttered ruefully, a bitter laugh escaping my lips. "And here I am, back in the same place."

Joy reached out to squeeze my hand, her eyes filled with sympathy. "I'm so sorry babe. I know how much you hated it there."

"Yeah," I replied, a knot forming in my stomach at the thought of spending another extended period of time in that environment. "Except, it isn't going to be four weeks like before. It's going to be ten weeks of hell this time."

As the reality of my situation sank in, a heavy sense of dread settled over me like a suffocating blanket. Ten weeks in a place that held such painful memories seemed like an eternity. The day I received the news that I would be returning to that ward, I had a total meltdown. The mere thought of stepping foot into that environment again left a sour taste in my mouth. I despised everything about that ward – the toxic culture, the oppressive atmosphere, even the people. Desperate, I had pleaded for a transfer to a different ward, hoping against hope that I could leave the past behind. But my request was met with the cold, hard reality of bureaucracy. Denied, without a second chance. There was nothing else I could do but to accept my fate and steel myself for the challenges that lay ahead. "Thanks, Joy," I managed to say, my voice strained as I fought to maintain a façade of composure. "I'll get through it. Somehow."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming back to my senses, I gathered the little courage I had and headed to the nursing station. I found myself among three other nursing students I hadn't met before in our school. Glancing at my watch, it was only 7:50 am, a full ten minutes before the scheduled gathering time of 8:00 am. I reassured myself that I wasn't late, at least not by my own standards.

As I pondered my punctuality, two more nursing students entered the ward, bringing the total to six of us. A nurse with a high ponytail, adorned with the nametag "Addison" on her blue scrub, caught our attention as she directed us to a staff pantry located at the back of the ward. The pantry was also connected to lockers where we could store our belongings.

"Please wait here momentarily while I fetch some documents to brief you all and provide orientation," Addison instructed before stepping out of the pantry.

In the silence that followed, one of the other students broke the ice, and soon we were all introducing ourselves. I gave them a weak smile, hoping it would convey a friendliness despite being obscured by my mask. I wasn't confident in my ability to remember names, but I was relieved to see that everyone was required to wear their badge name while working. Thank goodness for small mercies.

In the midst of our introductions, I found myself learning the names and personalities of my new colleagues. The brunette girl with bangs introduced herself as Hazel, her warm smile matching the kindness in her eyes perfectly. The girl in the white hijab, Iffah, exuded a quiet confidence that drew me in. Veronica, with her trendy glasses and petite frame, exuded a bubbly and extroverted energy that was contagious, filling the room with laughter and chatter. Joanna's deep voice and nose piercing gave her an edgy vibe, while Ryan, the only guy among us, sported a messy hairstyle that somehow added to his charm.

And then there was me, feeling plain and unremarkable in comparison, my earlier darkened expression likely leaving a less than stellar first impression. But as I listened to the stories and laughter of my new companions, I felt a glimmer of hope that perhaps this experience wouldn't be as daunting as I had feared. At least everyone seemed friendly, and for now, that was enough.