Act I, chapter 9: The Hellspawns' Parade (Part 2)

Party POV:

At the head of the troupe, Elen sends Wild Howl farther ahead on the dirt road, slowing their pace to get to Shadowheart's level. A quick glance behind their shoulder confirms that the mage and the warlock are together behind, musing in a low voice on scholarly subjects. The cleric raises an inquisitive eyebrow at them:

"-Looking for some chat? Is that why you sent the wolf away?

-Indeed. Well, for that, and scouting."

She almost murmurs her next words:

"-Thank you, for thinking about it.

-You're welcome.

-Did you have any specific matter in mind?

-In fact, I do. I wanted to ask you when you would speak out about your Sharran worship to the group."

The half-elf darts a quick worried look in her back, relaxing a little when she sees the men are not paying any attention to this exchange. She queries:

"-I shouldn't be surprised, since you knew about Wyll's patron by smell alone. Since when have you known?

-I'd say since the second day.

-And you kept that a secret for a full tenday? Why? Does anyone else know?

-I did. Astarion apparently came fast to the very same conclusion on his own. I didn't talk about it for the same reason I dared not speak of Astarion's vampirism nor Wyll's allegiance in their place. If we want a shot at survival as a team, we need to build some kind of trust.

-I understand.

-Well, I must admit that I kind of blackmailed the spawn into revealing himself, after he tried to sneak up on me at night to drink.

-I could say that I am shocked, but I am not surprised in the slightest."

Her nose has scrunched up, distaste in her eyes. Elen tries to appease her:

"I know he may be the least trustworthy member of our ecclectic troupe, but I will ask you to have faith in me: he has his reasons. While he does not put any of us at risk, please refrain from judging him too harshly."

Shadowheart shrugs in response, unconvinced, so they add in a playful tone:

"Need I remind you that you were the one who offered him the chance to join us?"

She throws her head back in laughter, her long black braid bouncing against her armor:

"You are right. I suppose I was in a clement mood, that day."

They both walk silently for a while, before the half-fey picks back up the thread of their previous discussion:

"-I may not be one to appreciate Shar and her teachings, but we are in this together. Besides, you've proven quite the healer and excellent company. I am glad we are travel companions.

-I return the compliment to you, undead.

-I had that one coming, didn't I?

-Well, you started the hostilities. But, since we are on the matter of deepening bonds, I realize I never asked: how did your Clan manage to flee Arabel and settle in Baldur's Gate? Aren't vampires chained to the place they've been buried in?

-You are right, we are. Well, we are supposed to, since it is the only place we can truly regenerate ourselves at. To overcome this fundamental rule of our natures, we brought our coffins with us and enough Arabelan dirt to bury them in when we travelled to this new city.