Chapter 2

"The necklace of youth?" Vivian questioned herself, staring at the ornate patterns on her bedroom ceiling.

She didn't know how she was going to find it all by herself. She is turning eighteen tomorrow, and her mother is forcing her to be out in two days. Vivian didn't think it was fair, she got told two days in advance that she had to go on the biggest journey in her entire life all alone.

It was 8 pm. She still had 2 hours before she decided to go to bed. Since she figured Lyra, too, had nothing to do, she went out of her room to find Lyra and invited her to a game of chess. Chess had always been her favourite board game, a rare delight in her life, and she rarely ever lost a match.

However, tonight felt different. As they settled into the game, she realised she couldn't focus. She just couldn't get her mind off her father. To this day, everyone under the roof of the kingdom of Navia held resentment for the kingdom of Fynox. The kingdom of Fynox was believed to be responsible for the murder of the king, Vivian's father. The wound of having an absent father since birth was a wound that never healed for Vivian. She recalled all the memories as a kid, when her mother constantly told her that the people in the kingdom of Fynox were the reason why her father wasn't here anymore and that she should never, ever go near a Fynoxian.

After she lost the game of chess, she decided that she just wanted to get her mind off things at the moment and went to get some supper to fulfill some sweet cravings she'd been having recently.

As she went to the kitchen, she realised Lyra had tagged along. Lyra, knowing Vivian since she was eight, knew that something was troubling her. Her lack of enthusiasm for chess was a clear sign.

"What's wrong, Vivian?' Lyra said with utmost concern in her voice.

Vivian sighed. "I just don't know what to do. Mother said that in two days, she's forcing me to leave the kingdom and find this item called the necklace of youth. I think it has some sort of magic that mother wants. Only then she will give me the throne." her voice trembled as she continued, "I don't know why she just doesn't love me as much as she loves my sisters."

"Oh my.. I'm so sorry Vivian, just know that even if I'm not physically there with you, I will always be in your heart too." Lyra said, offering words of comfort. After Vivian finished the leftover cake that was in the fridge, she went back to her room and lay on her bed till she fell asleep.

***

"So Vivian, I do have a surprise for you that I never mentioned during the family dinner yesterday. Well, I don't know if it counts as a surprise but someone is going to be following you on your journey to find the necklace of youth." Vivian's mother said, sitting on Vivian's bed.

"Who? Is it a girl or a boy? Do I know that person?" Vivian's anxious tone said everything.

"No, you don't know this person. He is a prisoner from downstairs." Elendine answered.

Vivian didn't say anything. She knew her mother disliked her, but did she hate her so much that she was forcing her to bring a prisoner with her? She is setting Vivian up for failure. There was no point in even trying anymore.

At this point, it was around 3 pm. Her mother said that she would introduce him to her at 3.30 pm. Vivian hated that she was kept in the dark most of the time, always getting short notice. But whatever, she was used to it.

In the meantime, Vivian just laid on her bed and read a book that she was halfway done with.

At 3.32 pm, she heard her door open. Her mother had basically thrown the guy into her room and closed her door.

"I assume you're Vivian?" The guy bowed.

"Yes, no need to bow. And you are?" Vivian awkwardly smiled at him, now sitting up on her bed.

"I'm Nolan." Nolan half smiled back.

This was too awkward. Is he gonna say something next? Or does she have to say something?

"Oh, you like painting?" Nolan said as he scanned her room and noticed the half-painted canvas in the corner of her room. Vivian's eyes shifted to her canvas and nodded.

"My sister used to like painting too." Nolan, now really smiling.

"That's cool. Why 'used to'?" Vivian asked.
Nolan continued eyeing her painting of a cat. He never replied her question. Vivian could sense that it could be something sensitive and didn't ask him again.

After they had a small conversation and exchanged small chuckles, the mood was ruined when Vivian's mother barged in.

"Tomorrow, there will be a carriage that will bring you guys to sea, then there will be a ship waiting for you guys to bring all to Fynox. Thereupon, they will drop you two off at a specific location. You would do well to be grateful for the assistance I am bestowing upon you. Also, pack the necessary stuff into the suitcase here." Elendine throws a suitcase into the room and closes the door.

"The Fynox? That's where the kingdom of Fynox is located at. Why would mother want to bring me there? Didn't she make me swear that I'll never go near the kingdom of Fynox?" Vivian mumbled under her breath.

Vivian felt a chill run down her spine at the mention of Fynox. All the memories of her mother talking down on the kingdom of Fynox all came back. Vivian glanced at Nolan, trying to gauge his reaction, but his face was unreadable.

"Do you know why Mother chose you to accompany me?" Vivian asked, her voice barely a whisper.

Nolan hesitated, his eyes briefly meeting hers before he looked away, "Well, you could say your mother and I had.. history. It's too long of a story to discuss what happened."

Vivian nodded. She decided not to press further, knowing that she didn't want to break any opportunity at trust between them since they were going to be stuck together for quite a while after all.

Vivian took the suitcase and started packing. Honestly, she didn't even know what to pack. She hasn't done anything like this before.

She ended up packing up some comfy clothes and sturdy boots. She reached for her book, notebook, and a few charcoal sticks. The book for entertainment purposes if she does get bored, her notebook and charcoal sticks as it was her only means of artistic expression. She smiled softly, trying to think of the positives, like all the new scenery she might capture along the way.

"Here," Nolan said, handing her extra provisions and a small dagger. "You'll need these."

"How did you-" Vivian, baffled.

"Shh. Just pack it in there." Nolan shut her down.
Vivian complied and added the items to her suitcase. Finally, she packed in a water bottle.
With a deep breath, she closed the suitcase and fastened the buckles.