Chapter 9: The Reason

Howard's form shifted, his body morphing into a lean, muscular frame with a face resembling a martial arts master. Serenity's heart pounded in her chest as she watched in disbelief. He lunged at Gael, his movements fluid and precise. Gael met him head-on, their fists and feet a blur of motion.

Howard's relentless nature was apparent, his form constantly changing to adapt to Gael's attacks. One moment he was a towering brute, the next a lithe acrobat, each form bringing a new style of combat to the fray. Gael countered with his own skills, honed by years of training at Drexel. His fists moved with precision, his body flowing through the space between them with a dancer's grace.

Suddenly, Gael flicked his wrist, and the space around them seemed to warp. Serenity's eyes widened as Howard's punch missed its mark, his fist striking empty air. Gael bent the space around him, creating a shield of sorts. Incredible, Serenity marveled. But Howard was quick to adapt, shifting into a smaller, more agile form, slipping through the distortions and landing a glancing blow on Gael's shoulder.

Gael staggered back, but his eyes remained focused, calculating. He reached out, and the air between them shimmered, slowing Howard's movements just enough for Gael to land a solid kick to his side. Howard snarled, his body shifting again, this time taking on the form of a hulking behemoth. He charged at Gael with brute force, but Gael twisted the space again, sidestepping the attack and landing a series of rapid punches to Howard's ribs.

The basement echoed with the sounds of their battle, each impact reverberating through the confined space. Gael's control over time and space gave him an edge, allowing him to predict and counter Howard's shapeshifting assaults. But Howard's relentless adaptability made him a formidable opponent.

"You're messing up everything," Howard growled, his voice distorted through his current form. "Serenity is jeopardizing our mission to kill Avery, and you're protecting her."

"I am," Gael admitted, his voice steady. "Because there's another way. We don't have to follow Drexel's path."

Howard roared in frustration, shifting once more, his form becoming even more monstrous. He swung at Gael with a massive, clawed hand, but Gael bent the space again, dodging the attack and retaliating with a powerful strike that sent Howard crashing into the wall.

Breathing heavily, Gael stood his ground, ready for whatever Howard might throw at him next. The shapeshifter's eyes burned with fury, but Gael's resolve was unshaken.

"You won't win, Howard," Gael said, his voice calm but firm. "Not today."

Howard glared at him, his form flickering between shapes as he struggled to maintain control. Finally, with a snarl, he retreated, his disfigured face reappearing as he slipped back into the shadows.

Gael turned to Serenity, his expression softening. "Are you okay?"

She nodded, still trying to process everything that had just happened. "Yeah. Thanks to you."

Gael offered her a reassuring smile. "Let's get out of here."

As they left the basement, the air outside felt like a breath of fresh sanity. The encounter with Howard had left Serenity's nerves frayed, but knowing Gael had her back brought a strange sense of comfort. She glanced at him, noting the way his dark eyes scanned their surroundings, always alert.

"Gael," she began, hesitating slightly. He turned to her, his expression softening. "Would you like to meet at a restaurant later? You know, without you just appearing out of nowhere."

He chuckled, a low, soothing sound. "I reckon that sounds like a fine idea, Serenity."

They walked side by side, and Serenity couldn't help but steal glances at him. There was something about Gael that drew her in, a blend of mystery and familiarity. Maybe it was the way he seemed to carry the weight of the universe in his eyes, or how he always seemed to know when she needed him.