𝙿𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚞𝚍𝚎

𝙹𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟸𝟻𝚝𝚑, 𝟷𝟿𝟷𝟶 | 𝚈𝚞𝚜𝚞𝚙𝚘𝚟 𝙿𝚊𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚎, 𝚂𝚝. 𝙿𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚐, 𝚁𝚞𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚊

The note lay nestled within the pile of Isabella's meticulously typed diary entries atop the antique table, its edges softened by time and the weight of secrets

The note lay nestled within the pile of Isabella's meticulously typed diary entries atop the antique table, its edges softened by time and the weight of secrets. The room itself seemed to hold its breath, the air thick with anticipation, as if aware of the gravity of the moment. The flicker of gas lamps cast elongated shadows on the walls, dancing like ghosts in a silent waltz.

Isabella's gaze lifted from her writing, her eyes tracing the ornate patterns etched into the wooden frame of the mirror above the fireplace. The glass reflected not only her own image but also the flickering flames behind her—a mesmerizing juxtaposition of warmth and danger. The hearth crackled, its flames licking hungrily at the logs, casting a warm glow that danced across the room.

And there, amidst the amber light, lay the deep crimson stains—the remnants of her once-elegant red dress. The fabric, once a symbol of beauty, now bore witness to a darker truth. The colour of the stains nearly matched the hue of her gown, as if the very essence of her guilt had seeped into the fibres.

Isabella's mind buzzed with conflicting thoughts, each one a sharp needle pricking at her conscience. Should she extinguish the flames, erase the evidence, and persist in her silence? The facade of innocence was fragile, but it shielded her from the harsh reality awaiting her outside these walls. Or should she summon the courage to confess—to bare her soul and face the repercussions of her actions? The truth weighed heavily upon her, threatening to unravel the delicate threads of her existence.

"Bella," a man's voice shattered her reverie. His footsteps echoed across the wooden floor, each one a heartbeat in sync with her own. He stood in the doorway, his silhouette framed by the dim light. His eyes, once filled with tenderness, now held a steely resolve.

"We must depart," he declared, his tone firm. "The carriage awaits outside."

Isabella's gaze shifted from the fireplace to him. His face, etched with lines of duty and longing, mirrored her own turmoil. The dress, still partially aflame, seemed to mock their predicament. She hesitated, torn between loyalty and self-preservation.

"But the dress has yet to be fully consumed," Isabella murmured, her voice barely audible above the crackling fire. Her fingers trembled as she traced the scorched edges of the fabric.

"I shall attend to it," he assured her, his resolve unwavering. His gloved hands reached for the poker, pushing the burning remnants deeper into the hearth. The flames hissed, as if protesting their interference.

"Are you not accompanying me?" Isabella's voice quivered, the tremble evident in her soft plea. She longed for his presence, even in this desperate hour.