Nurse Merit Wright

The alarm blares in Conrad Hawkins' ear. He sighs and turns off his off. Time to start the day...

The doctor sits up and runs his hand through his hair. He looks at the empty side of the bed. The place where Nic would be every morning. He smiles at the memory. But he knows that he will never see her smile in the morning as he woke up. Never again.

Conrad and gets dressed in his usual attire. A shirt, jeans, a jacket, and boots. He walks over to the dresser and grabs his dog tags. Even though he has been out of the military for a while now, he still wears the dog tags he used to wear on the battlefield at Afghanistan. Umong the two pieces of silver metal, sets a pair of intertwined rings. It's his and Nic's wedding bands.

He kisses the ring that she used to wear. He still remembers when he took the ring off of her. Her finger still warm as she was taken away to an OR to have her organs donated. That was what she always did.. Help others. Even when it came to her final breath.

"Good morning, Nic.." Conrad whispers.

He then heads to his daughter's room. Conrad looks into the room and smiles. His little girl, his and Nic's life was sleeping peacefully. He walks in and sits on the side of the bed and brushes her hair from her forehead. It's been five years since he lost Nic. He's slowly adjusted to his new life.

Being a single parent, being an attending physician, finding love again.. But he can't deny that he misses her. Nic was his love, his soulmate. Every time he looks at his daughter, Grace, Gigi, he sees Nic.

Sleeping Gigi, slowly stirs. Conrad smiles and kisses her head.

"Morning Gigi." He whispers.

The five year old slowly opens her eyes. When she sees her father, she quickly wraps her arms around his neck.

"Morning Daddy.." Gigi says happily.

Conrad smiles and rubs the little girl's back.

"Hey sweetie.."

After Gigi is fully awake, Conrad helps her get dressed and then goes downstairs to get some breakfast for the two of them.

As Conrad is setting the scambled eggs on a plate, the sound of Gigi running down the stairs can be heard. It's not long before the little girl is sitting at the table eating her breakfast with her stuffed toy giraffe. Conrad watches her as he eats his own breakfast.

After Gigi's grandad, Nic's father comes to take care of her, Conrad quickly gets on his bike and heads to the hospital. As he pedals, he sees the imposing structure of Chastin Hospital in the distance.

As Conrad walks to the front desk to check in, he sees a young woman with head phones around her neck. She's waiting for one of the receptionist to finish typing.

"Morning Doctor Hawkins." One of the receptionist says with a smile.

"Morning Sophia.." He gives one of his signature smiles.

"Today is a busy day today." Sophia says as she hands the doctor the clipboard.

"Oh really?" Conrad signs his name.

"Yep. Today is the first day of mentorship for a new batch of doctors and nurses."

Conrad looks up at her with suprise. He forgot about the mentorship!

"Oh.." He breathes out.

"You forgot you have a mentee, didn't you, Hawkins?"

He shrugs nervously. As Conrad is talking, the woman beside him finally gets the receptionist's attention.

*****

"How may I help you?" The receptionist asks.

"Um yes.. I'm here for my mentorship." The woman says.

Conrad looks at the woman beside him. She's about three years younger than him. She has blonde hair, and green eyes. The way she looks.. He swears he is seeing a vision of Nic. He tries to not to stare at her much, but.. This woman.. Who is she?

"What's your name?" The receptionist questions as she pulls up the database.

"My name is Merit Wright. I am a nurse and my mentor is supposed to be Nicolette Nivens Hawkins?"

Conrad mentally sighs. The mentorship..

Before Nic's sudden passing, she sent in a mentorship form personally for someone. The person just started nursing school and so it would be a few years until she graduated. This woman, Merit, must be her.

"Oh.. Well.. It seems your mentorship status has changed. You see.. Nicolette Hawkins is no longer with us." The receptionist says nervously.

Merit looks at her suprised. She notices the look of sadness that crosses both of the receptionists faces.

"Oh.. How long has she been not.. Here?" Merit asks a bit quietly.

"Five years.." Conrad answers.

Merit turns and looks at him. She studies him.

"And you are?" She asks.

"Conrad Hawkins." He smiles sadly, offering his hand to her.

Merit shakes his hand.

"I'm-" She's cut off by Conrad.

"Yeah... Nurse Merit Wright. I know." Conrad says a bit harshly.

She looks away.

Conrad's watch beeps. He's three mintues late to his shift. He quickly walks away to the lockeroom.

Merit watches him leave.

"Well.. Looks like you've already your mentor." Sophia says.

"That was my mentor!" She says in disbelief.

"Yes. Doctor Conrad Hawkins. Just a warning he can be a bit harsh to residents and new comers. But don't worry, hes nice once you get to know him." Sophia says.

"Great.." Merit whispers.

"Welcome to Chastin, Nurse Merit!"