Chapter Ten

The Death Assistant paced back and forth along the mats of the sparring room, making nervousness chew away at my mind. Shadows clouded around him as he walked, turning over the details of the plan I had presented him with. It was as if the wisps of darkness were trying to piece together what Fenik was thinking too.

I never thought I would find myself relating to something curated by Death.

Throughout the entire explanation I gave about the Harmony Ball and Lord Roperos' regular attendance, he hadn't spoken a word, leaving me to fear that he didn't approve. After my deal with Journey, the event I had agreed to go to, and the dancing lessons I signed up to teach, this couldn't be wasted. Not when this was the perfect opportunity.

Perhaps I should have talked Fenik through my idea first before diving in without a way to escape.

"Is this the part where you tell me you have two left feet?" I asked when I couldn't bear his silence anymore. It was a wonder how the poor mats didn't have holes worn into them.

Finally, the Death Assistant stopped and turned to face me. "It's a good plan, but it's going to take a lot of work to smooth out the finer details. There are safety concerns that could be solved with a floor plan of the castle. All escape routes will need to be marked and remembered in case something goes wrong. I'll also need to figure out a way to blend the test into something so it won't be noticeable. Also..." Fenik trailed off, losing himself to the twists and turns of his thoughts once more.

"Can you not dance?" I questioned with a raised brow.

"I was going to say we need to make sure we have a plan in place if the test shows Lord Roperos has darkness in his blood, but that is also a minor flaw," he confessed.

"In all the time that you've been alive — or undead, rather — have you really never learnt how to dance?" The realisation felt like a wrenching betrayal that plunged a blade deep into my skin. How could someone not have given in to the urge to dance? To move your body in time to the sweet symphonies orchestras had to offer? Even though he had lost his memories when he died, I thought he would at least have a sliver of knowledge of the basics.

Fenik shook his head, an amused smile playing with his lips as he observed my jaw hanging wide with shock. "The only dance I know is to the song of Gods and Death — a dance of ruin, if you will. While you spin with skirts and grace, I turn with blades and shadows."

Of course. Where would he find the time for the joy of dancing when he was too busy doing his God's bidding? "There's always the chance to learn. It won't take very long to pick up the basic steps that can fit to any pace." However, it would be best to leave the faster songs to the professionals. "You taught me how to kill a Draxinite. Let me return the favour."

The Death Assistant chuckled. "When did you become so insistent on returning a favour to someone of the likes of me? It was only a few days ago when you were trying to kill me with your chalk. It's almost as if you can tolerate me now." He crossed his arms. "Perhaps you're even fond of me?"

I stiffened, my gaze falling to the floor where his scuffed boots became strikingly interesting. I hadn't even realised. I shouldn't have let myself get so comfortable. My legs yearned to move to the sound of a melody after a year away from the ballroom. Something from a polished flute or a constant rhythm of a drum would have been perfect.

"Well, we're both working toward the same goal. It's only to help with the mission of stopping the Draxinites from crossing over. Nothing more. After everything is over, I wish to never see you again."

Fenik's smirk grew tenfold. "Liar."

"You and your cursed gift!" I scowled. "I'm not lying! It would help you blend in with the surroundings too, if you were concerned about safety. Everyone at the Harmony Ball will know a dance or two, so you won't be pulling any attention to yourself. And, if you can be there on the floor while everyone is dancing, you can get close to Roperos too!" I couldn't exactly partner up with someone inexperienced either. My reputation would plummet.