Blood of the Undead

Through the hallway two men marched methodically. Footsteps echoing along the pale white walls. Meters kept blaring and going off, while a silent voice came through the intercom. "Paging Dr. Breller...you are wanted in the ICU." The two men barely noticed the voice as their footfalls were eerily silent. Slowly they made their way down another branching corridor, this time the lights dimmed a little sparking to life once and then burning out again. Both of them barely noticed. They were just here for one thing and one thing only.

A press of a button called the elevator and they saw the numbers crawling upward. They waited deathly quiet. One of them shoved his hands inside his coat pockets, the cold filtered air made him tighten the coat around his waist. The other barely felt the chill wearing nothing but a black tee. His arms are broad and wide, almost athletic in nature. Temperature did not affect him as the other. Blank stares watched the numbers ascend just a couple more levels.

The man wearing the coat spoke hoarsely, "You know the job right?" His brown gaze looking at the other standing next to him. He knew what had to be done but he wasn't sure if his partner was ready. A shaggy mess of blonde hair tampered against his temples brushing in front of his sight.

"Oh I know why we're here..." The man standing next to him said. His long black hair straight down to his shoulders did not flutter like the other's. His eyes looked back and blinked as the light splayed across his opaque pupils. His smile widened and the other guy swore he could see two incisors growing. "You got me in here. I hope you plan to see this through. Unless you get cold feet. She won't be pleased if you hesitate."

"Trust me I won't," the other man stammered. The elevator doors opened wide and they both walked in.

"What number?" the man with the long black hair questioned.

"Bottom floor, level 2."

The elevator jumped a little and began to descend. The shaggy haired man stood there nervously. It wasn't like he hadn't done something like this before. He must have done it ten times, maybe twenty for them. But he had always done this by himself. I mean besides he worked here as an EMT. All the late nights working the graveyard shift, flirting with all the cute nurses and interns, the countless bathroom breaks where he would smoke a joint before going out on a call. But never once did they ask him to bring along a fledgling, especially one that was rising up in the ranks.

The elevator sped down, only a couple more floors until they reached the laboratory wings. That was where they were headed. All the necessary paperwork was filed down there along with lab reports, IV units and medications, defibrillator machines and testing areas. But the one thing that interested the long black haired man was not any medical supplies or contraptions. However the laboratory testing where they stored all the blood donors samples as well as those who came in for yearly blood work tests was more captivating.

"So how come they sent you this time?" The shaggy haired man seemed nervous as the elevator doors opened to the basement level. He began leading the way, always looking back at the other and making sure no surgeons or doctors would see them. This time the shaggy haired man moved quicker, his feet moved briskly against the cold tile.

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't tell you..." the dark haired man moved slowly, his hands behind his back folded together. He did not keep up with the other who seemed to be in a hurry. A slight chuckle came to his lips as he eyed the interior of the hospital basement. This seemed much better, cold concrete and bulging brick, the smell of undergrowth from being underneath the earth itself. A lone spider spun its way up into a little crack. Those little things he began to notice more clearly. Certain smells tinged his glands and thyroid, lights were not as bright but dimmer in comparison to what it was before, "She wants to reward you for all the help you've been giving us."