ACT 6: "Wish"

The black cloud of darkness hovered above, contrasting the lush green landscape below. A gentle breeze blew, lifting up petals from the various flowers. A wonderfully bright setting of brilliant colors, complimenting a new world and a restored land. Amidst these vast meadows and plains, a lone shadow shuffled along.

How long had he been walking?

How many days?

How many hours?

"What does it matter?" the shadow thought out loud. He looked around the grassy fields. What was once nothing more than a charred wasteland with roaming shadows had over the years been transformed into a veritable paradise.

In his wanderings, many new thoughts plagued the once aloof shadow. Thoughts of a life that was once his. Thoughts of a friendship that was once his, as well as thoughts of a woman who was once...

Regrets and failures came rushing back, colder than the icy embrace of darkness. These memories pieced themselves together, all linked to a hatred he felt for one man.

Shaken from his quiet reflection, the shadow looked up and found himself standing before a familiar tower. "It's been quite some time since I've been here," he whispered.

It had been years, in fact. The tower, although still as daunting as ever, was now covered in moss, vines, and other forms of vegetation. Out of nostalgic curiosity, the shadow proceeded inside, pushing through the thick vines that now ensnared the entryway.

The interior was still as bleak as ever, only made different by the wrapping shrubbery and flowers growing from the cracks along the walls and floor.

I... remember this place now. Oh, how cruel fate can be.

Looking around, the shadow could see the ascending staircase. With a heavy heart and a mind flashing images of a life long since gone, the shadow climbed the steps—unsure of what he might find. Unsure of why he was even there.

Each step weighed heavily on him, each one taking him closer to the room where it all ended, and where it began anew. It was then that the shadow caught sight of a faint glow coming from further up the stairwell.

This light...

The shadow's pace quickened. The higher he climbed, the brighter the glow became until finally he reached the dungeon's wooden door. Light streamed from between its cracks.

The shadow swallowed and placed a hand on the door. He pushed it open and the stairwell was flooded with light. Shielding his eyes, the shadow waited for his vision to adjust.

There in the middle of the room, standing in the center of a lowered bird cage, was the girl of light.

They looked upon each other, neither one saying a word. The girl smiled, a relieved look in her eyes. The shadow couldn't help but smile as well. Not knowing what else to say, he took a step closer.

"You are quite interesting," chuckled the shadow.

"Who are you?" replied the girl playfully.

"Me? I..." He paused. He stared at the girl and took a deep breath. "I am the darkness. I am your shadow... and... your friend," he stated calmly.

The girl's cheeks flushed.

"What about you?"

"I... am the light. Your light, and your friend."

The silence that followed was warm. It was not the awed silence they shared when they'd first met, nor was it the tense silence brought about by the first man. This was a silence all their own. The harmony of balance.