The Art of Hypocrisy

Full-Blown Hypocrisy

Another word for hypocrisy is acting (playing a theatrical role), which makes a hypocrite an actor. One who pretends to be someone or something he is not. Of course, another definition is the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one does not conform or possess. You know, false virtue, virtue-signaling, or everyone's favorite: sanctimoniousness. Let's not forget the cherry on the top: expecting others to live up expectations, and looking down on those who don't measure up.
Full-blown hypocrisy requires a great storyline, along with a beautiful facade. To really make it full-blown, the actor believes his own story, which makes it easier to sell. It goes along with the propaganda technique in which a lie is repeated enough times that people actually believe it. The more he repeats his fictious storyline, the more the pretender believes it's non-fiction. This is known as self-deception.
Ironically, the self-deception is so great, he believes no one sees through the smokescreen. The hypocrite may initially look like he belongs in the Church; however, the fruit is not there. A true disciple of Jesus Christ might have hypocritical moments, when his behavior does not match his actual beliefs. Nonetheless, he repents quickly when exposure comes. The hypocrite is not looking for repentance; he's looking for admiration.
Basically, Jesus defines it quite well when he rebukes the scribes and Pharisees in Matthew 23. It's what full-blown hypocrisy looks like. The façade is a cover for the rottenness inside. The outside it looks good, but the inside is full of termites. The whole thing collapses when pressure is put against it. Proverbially speaking, the hypocrite will fall apart, or be exposed when it's time to step to the plate. Look at one of the descriptions Jesus uses.
Matthew 23:27-28 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Hypocrisy-Light

Part of being a disciple of Jesus Christ is brutal honesty with ourselves, which is a requirement for being honest with others. The willingness to see what might be lurking in our hearts, and receiving correction, goes a long way. Even though we may be born-again, there are things inside each of us with which needs dealing. The sin issue has been dealt with, which enables God to take us through the process of sanctification whereby He conforms us to the image of Jesus.
Romans 8:29 For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brethren.
Hebrews 12:5-10 And you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor faint when you are reproved by Him; for those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives." It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness (NASB).
Let's be clear about this: the process goes better for those who are humble and willing. It does not go so well for those who are prideful and resistant. Think about, if we had our act together, or if we already "arrived" when we were born-again, why would the Father need to discipline any of us? What does this mean? It means, we all deal with hypocrisy. How many of us have walked around as if we had our stuff together, and our stuff don't stink? Have you ever been there? Full disclosure, I have!
To be fair, part of our hypocrisy is simply the result of faking until we make it. In other words, we are trying to be Christ-like, because we truly believe in doing so. But there are things we choose to ignore, hoping they will go away, and we actually succeed in being Christ-like. In addition, there are those things to which we are blind. Either way, until they're dealt with, they will hinder us. Basically speaking, in our heart of hearts, we are true believers who are not pretending to be Christians. We just haven't arrived yet. Fortunately, in Him we are perfect in the sight of God.
There are strongholds that interfere with our attitudes and actions. They range from lusts to deep-seated hurts, along with false suppositions we learned along the way. Have you ever acted in a way, which left you feeling disappointed with yourself, and you did not know the reason?
Here's a couple examples of how a deep-seated hurt might work against us. Let's say I meet someone for the first time, and I feel resentment toward him for no apparent reason. Similarly, I feel fear or dread the moment I meet someone for the first time. Why? Because the individual reminds of someone who hurt me. It might his appearance, voice, or mannerisms. Perhaps, all of the above. Either way, I'm dealing with un-forgiveness, or the fear associated with the pain I suffered. In such an occasion, it's time to ask God for the wisdom to properly deal with whatever is going on.

Removing Hypocrisy

Here's a few places to start in ridding ourselves of hypocrisy. As previously mentioned, humble ourselves before God, and ask Him for wisdom. Be willing to see what might be there, but don't try to manufacture something. Let Holy Spirit reveal it. Receive correction and discipline, and act on His instructions. Renew the mind by spending alone time with the Lord, and getting into His Word. It's amazing what Scripture can do in exposing what's in the core of our being, and changing the way we think, believe and behave.
Hebrews 4:12-13 For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with Whom we have to do.