vi. her study spot

act onechapter six

act one
chapter six

"WHO'S HOODIE was that?" Neville asks as they walk to the libary. Lyra liked talking to him until he brought up the clothing he saw her rush into the tower in.

"Nobody's, Nev." Lyra lies, now wearing a new set of school clothes, without her cloak. She finds it a bit silly as classes were over for the day but it was school rules to wear the uniform until dinner. The only exception was weekends.

"Don't lie. It was too big for you and you don't own any hoodies."

Lyra sighs, finding it hard to act nonchalant with him. Neville is different, her soft spot. "Alright, it obviously isn't mine but I don't want to say who's it is. Now I need to get going but I'll see you at dinner. Okay?"

Neville frowns like a child. "You don't love me."

"I do, very much, actually." She gives him a quick hug, to defuse any negativity he may feel, before rushing down the corridor to the library. "Love you!"

Lyra greets the Libiran quietly before standing by the front desk and checking the time. Just as the long hand hit the 30-minute mark, Theodore strolls in wearing his school clothes, except the cloak, like her, leaving him in his white shirt, green tie and grey pants.

"You're on time." She nods.

He shrugs. "I like not having my head bitten off because I was a second late." He walks past her.

Lyra stands by the front desk, frowning as he walks further into the library. Where is he going? She grumbles to herself before following his tall figure. They walk past other tables, some filled with students or discarded books, and Lyra grows more suspicious as she realizes where he is walking to. Their route is a route Lyra knows well as she's walked it every day in here.

They reach the back corner of the library, hidden from the typical view given from the door and center floor, and turn a corner. There is a table fit for two people in the middle of two bookshelves with enough space to roam. Next to it is a large stained glass window that has raindrops running down as it continues to pour outside, the blue, green and yellow colors reflecting onto the table and floor in a beautiful scene.

Lyra feels happy at the sight of her studying spot. She discovered it in second year and has been obsessed with it since. It's secluded from others, the colorful window bringing a sense of peace. It's one of her most adored places in the world.

How did he know where it was? Lyra is very sure only she uses the spot, Madame Pince informing her of this.

"This is my study spot." Lyra says before looking at him.