ix. blushing in the snow

act onechapter nine❇

act one
chapter nine

THE SNOW SILENTLY sinks under the trio's feet as they walk along the main path in Hogsmeade. It is the only trip until the ball so everyone took the opportunity to go shopping for the proper attire. Unfortunately, there is only one dress shop in the village, so it is bound it be packed with excited teenage girls.

So fun. Lyra thinks. She looks forward to trying on pretty dresses, not the busy shop filled with people. Her father sent her enough money for a decent dress with the request of taking a picture of herself the night of the ball.

It's unfortunate Luna can't attend because she's a third year. The ball is for fourth years and above.

Lyra, Wren and Neville enter 'Madame Magrett's', a beautifully purple shop with walls of dresses of any color and style hung on floating racks. Lyra notices many girls she knows sorting through dresses and posing for their friends in the material.

"Why didn't I just find something in my closet?" Wren sighs, also seeing how much people beat them to getting here.

"Don't be boring, Wren." Lyra tuts, pushing away the anxeity she feels in the crowded shop in hopes of still having fun.

Neville feels anxious too, and joins pinkies with her, looking around the store nervously. He is the only male here. Neville only joined the girls because they wanted a third opinion when fitting on dresses, and this morning it seemed like a good idea, but now he feels flustered.

"Come on, lets start here." Lyra pulls her friends in the direction of a bunch of purple and red dresses.

A half an hour passes of Lyra and Wren deciding on what dresses to try on and then tossing them into Neville's arms. When they're done, he is struggling to see over the pile of dresses and relies on hearing their voices to guide him as they walk towards the fitting rooms.

"Do you have a date yet?" Lyra asks as they wait for rooms to open up. They decided to actually try and get dates with other people and not just go as friends because of the rare chance of a ball happening in their lives. Having a romantic partner on your arm will make the night even more exciting.

Lyra doesn't know if anyone will ask her, though, and that thought makes the idea debatable.

"No but I know who I want to ask." Wren smirks mysteriously and Lyra perks up.

"Who?" A voice asks.

The girls giggle as they finally realize they couldn't see Neville's face because of their dresses. Lyra takes two of her dresses and Wren three, off of him so they could see his eyes. "Thanks." He sighs in relief. "I was so scared I'd trip."