05

𝑁𝑜𝑤 𝑃𝑙𝑎𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔  
𝄞⨾𓍢ִ໋  𝙐𝙢𝙞 𝙣𝙤 𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙯𝙪𝙠𝙪 𝄞⨾𓍢ִ໋
exist†trace

「ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛʀᴜᴄᴛᴜʀᴀʟ ғᴏʀᴍᴜʟᴀ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜ」

𖣠

The late morning sun filtered through the sheer curtains of your apartment, casting soft, dappled light across the room. The two of you sat at the kitchen counter, the silence between you stretching out uncomfortably. The only sounds were the slurping of your udon noodles and the crunch of his crispy shrimp tempura. The awkwardness of the moment became too much, and you set your chopsticks down, unable to continue eating.

Your gaze remained fixed on the creamy broth of your udon, the steam rising in delicate tendrils. You could feel the tension in the air, each second feeling like an eternity. After what seemed like ages, you took a deep breath and finally looked over at him. His eyes were still locked on his own bowl, mirroring your earlier reluctance.

He had been the one to suggest this conversation, but now he seemed just as uncomfortable as you. The weight of unspoken words hung heavily between you, and you could sense that he, too, was struggling to find the right moment to break the silence.

But once the two of you settled onto the counter stools, it was as if all the words he had meticulously prepared simply evaporated, leaving behind an awkward silence that filled your apartment. The cozy space, usually a haven of comfort, now felt stifling with unspoken tension hanging in the air.

He could feel your eyes on him, a silent plea for him to meet your gaze, but he remained fixated on his bowl, pretending to be utterly engrossed in his meal. The udon noodles and shrimp tempura became his refuge, a distraction from the inevitable conversation he was dreading. He hoped you would follow his lead and continue eating, but you didn't.

"I know you want to end whatever was going on between us," you said suddenly, your voice cutting through the silence with a clarity that surprised him. It was steady and calm, devoid of the emotional turmoil he had anticipated.

You continued to stare at him, willing him to put down his chopsticks and face your way.

For a brief moment, he paused, his chewing coming to an abrupt halt.

The silence grew heavier as he hesitated, but instead of looking up, he resumed eating, slurping the broth that mingled with the udon, as if hoping to delay the inevitable confrontation just a bit longer.

A small exhale escaped your lips as you closed your eyes, feeling a wave of irritation wash over you at his evasiveness. You raised your hand and rested it on your forehead, gently massaging circles into your temple in an attempt to calm yourself.

After a moment, you opened your eyes and looked over at him again, ready to continue with whatever you were about to say.

"If that's what you're here for, then I understand so just—"