Prologue

Mavis Mae Romano was raised in a quaint town known as Mystic Falls. Arguably one of the safest it not for its extensive history of disappearances and missing cases.

Growing up, the Romano girl stood out effortlessly. Blessed with striking features, she drew admiration from nearly everyone. Her presence in a small town was unusual; where most yearned to leave for bigger educations and choices, they looked up to Mavis. There was a shared belief that her path would lead to great things, and acceptance was simply a given. 

Her concerns were once just her grades and friends, the usual teenage preoccupations. However, there was more beneath the surface. When junior year began and the Salvatore brothers arrived, her life spiraled into chaos. By her high school graduation, nearly everyone she cared about was either gone or always in harm's way, including herself.

Mavis was a mere human when Klaus and his siblings arrived in town. She was still human when Qetsiyah wreaked havoc on Stefan's mind, a situation that was driving her to the brink of insanity.

It might seem terrible if Tyler found out, but her transformation brought relief. Mavis needed that surge of strength and a boost of bravery. She needed to embrace her newfound power. This was partially why she thanked Nadia, Katherine's daughter, for triggering the events that activated the werewolf curse.

The use of 'partially' was entirely accurate, as it wasn't merely a favor she was doing. Nadia sought an escape from the Travelers, leading her to strike a bargain: a new werewolf to practice on in exchange for her freedom.

Which didn't really work so well for her...

After a Traveler possessed him, Tyler turned into a fugitive, escaping with whatever wife the warlock had. Mavis had no one to rely on but herself. She escaped the broken witches, and as she ventured into the dark woods, the full moon emerged. Alone, she fractured every bone in her body amidst the muddy leaves.

There was an unusual aura about her. It wasn't just the curse she had unleashed, but also a certain wickedness. A sickening urge to inflict pain invaded her thoughts several times a day without reason. The power she so desperately sought seemed more natural at the expense of others. Mavis was aware this wasn't ordinary, yet there was never an opportunity to discuss it. She repressed these feelings until one day, she truly lost her sanity. In front of everyone, I might add.

The group was certainly unnerved. Their minds raced with possibilities, from a Traveler taking control to her transforming into a vampire, but that just wasn't it.

Mavis wasn't merely creating chaos for its own sake. Like anyone else, she had a moral compass. It was just a bad time and place that led to her outburst.

The group thought the opposite. Confused and alarmed, Elena Gilbert took it upon herself to, well, kill her.

And because no one could stay angry with the young doppelganger, they swept it under the rug like it was nothing. As if her life held no value.

The realization that they were in deep trouble dawned on them when the same Travelers took up residence in their hometown, intent on claiming it for themselves and banishing all supernatural beings under the show of "claiming the land as their own". 

The Other Side teetered on the edge of annihilation with Bonnie as its anchor. Plans A, B, and C had failed, and now all were drawn into the situation: vampires, witches, werewolves, and even the Parker twins.

It was time for Plan F.U.

They guided all the Travelers to the Mystic Grill, cranked up the gas, and Damon and Elena drove their car straight into it. Such Die-Hard lovers. Literally.

Everyone gathered at the cemetery, filled with anticipation to return to their lives, everyone except for Mavis. Liv was casting the spell to resurrect her deceased twin brother, providing an ideal chance for the others to tag along into the real world.

The plan went haywire. Luke intervened to prevent Liv from doing the spell, leaving Bonnie and Damon stranded on the Other Side, which was moments from destruction. As they exchanged farewells, a recognizable brown-haired wolf appeared behind them.

"Am I too late?" she asked, breathlessly. The last two stared at her in shock and surprise, seeing her chipper rather than murderous. Mavis thought it would have been more dramatic if everyone had known she was there, but she decided to take what she could get.

Her friends were all crying, pacing, and yelling for someone to fix it. She didn't do anything but watch. She accepted that something was wrong with her, and that death was an easy solution. Oh, and also, she was pissed that her 'friends' didn't really do too much to get her back like they did Bonnie and Jeremy.

Mavis was about to vanish upon hearing her friend's cries.

Only she didn't quite know what she was vanishing into.