Chapter 12: Twelve Minus One

THE day Aporia lost her Diadem, she didn’t know that it would be her cost for the path she had chosen. She had been separated from Lilah for over 20 years. She’d been living as a mortal. And she had met Lin 5 years prior.

    He was everything opposite of Lilah. And while Aporia didn’t share the same depth of love for him as she did Lilah, she loved him more than any man she had ever. She also loved the unborn life she had held in her womb more than anything that ever existed. Even more than her Queen; Lilah.

    Her Queen, who knew once she walked into her chambers, that she was pregnant.

    “Your body reeks of mortality, My Pair. What have you done?” Lilah asked, her eyes wide as she gazed at Aporia’s small baby bump.

    Aporia didn’t know it then, but Lilah was being threatened by half of the other Twelve. Too many Immortals from sexual Sources were having sex with mortals. They feared a pregnancy would soon happen on either side. And there was Aporia glowing with it ripe in her belly. The first to be reported.

    Aporia didn’t understand her anger as Lilah rushed to her. “You’ve no idea what you’ve done, Aporia. This is more than just against our laws. You might be the first, but you won’t be the last. Do you know what you’ve started?” Lilah asked; panicked, grabbing her hands.

    Aporia frowned removing her hands from hers gently. “You worry too much. I’ll pay the cost, whatever it shall be. But I will have this child. As is my right.”

    Lilah snapped back. She stood adorned in her gold crown and jeweled brassiere and sheer white skirt with a gold belt. She was still the most beautiful woman Aporia thought, but her reaction was ugly.

    “I’d never suggest you kill your child, but you do not understand what kind of position you’ve put me in. You being here reeking of mortality as you are. I am not the only one of us who’ll feel it. Feel that you are changed. You should have come to me sooner, Aporia. Stated your desire with whatever mortal man whose impregnated you. I could have extended his life essence. I could’ve of given you anything you asked.”

    Aporia lifted her chin. “You couldn’t of given me this, Lilah. A child. One who will be born away from this realm and all the poison we spew forth, calling it divine.”

    Lilah’s eyes darkened. Her mouth tensed in a deep line. “Then you leave me no choice. GUARDS!”

    Before Aporia could react, the Queen’s Royal Guard, whom she once commanded, surrounded her. Immediately, bindings from the Original Source were placed on her wrist; cutting Aporia off from her Source and power. They glowed brightly orange as Aporia screamed trying to release her magic to fight them. She had been prepared to take whatever punishment Lilah had deemed worthy, yet through their Binary Bond Aporia felt Lilah’s dread. Knew this wasn’t going to go well at all.

    “Lilah, what is the meaning of this? What are you doing? I am not a threat. I didn’t come here to quarrel.”

    Lilah squared her shoulders. “With the Royal Guard as my witness, I hereby Banish you from The Royal Court of the Higher Realms. And I strip you of your position as one of The Twelve by the removal of your Diadem.”

    The silence was so complete and so loud, Aporia could of heard a feather fall. It was as though no one breathed. Once a Queen or King made their ruling, it was final. The law was a magic all its own and Lilah’s words was the wand. No one had their Diadem removed before. It was unheard of. So was a Immortal procreating with a mortal.