II. Expanding horizons

After experiencing that strange dream, things just haven't been the same for me

After experiencing that strange dream, things just haven't been the same for me. What did that mysterious voice mean behind its off-putting riddles? It was all running around my mind restlessly, leaving me aching for a pain reliever, which I could never hope to achieve without the figure's approval.

That made me beyond irritated. How could a mere voice have control over my emotions? That was just foolish.

Switching the subject... Chiyako, my sweet teacher, started practicing some spiritual exercises with me as well, instead of labouring me day and night. It was a nice change, but one thing was very difficult for me.

Meditation.

I couldn't sit still for the love of God, and even though Chiyako was a really patient woman, she too didn't have nerves made of steel. Meaning I had to run laps around the shrine for every time I spoke during our sacred meditations.

It was a pain, but at least my stamina would get better, I guess?
There were also some hygiene differences, one being I had to bathe under a stream of a waterfall. It was cold. Freezing, even.
But at least I'd get used to colder bodies of water...

And I had to clean my teeth using a sharpened piece of wood. It was a strange change, but my teeth were surprisingly cleaner than ever.

Practicing tea making was also intriguing. I once offered Chiyako a cup of tea, only to have her passed out once she dipped her tongue into it. Even then I didn't catch a glimpse of her face, which was really disappointing.

"Aime-chan! I sense a presence coming our way! Be sure to prepare a tea right away to offer our guest! But don't make it lethal like last time, please," the voice of my teacher brought me out of my thoughts. I immediately shouted a reply, "Yes!" and got to business.

I found a stinging nettle and decided to add it to my crushed herbs mix. I hoped it would turn out great - or at least it would taste decent... If I put my best into it, maybe the person will appreciate it.

I quickly made it and as I was about to pick it up, I flinched upon feeling the burning sensation hit my elbow for a hot minute. I retracted my hand away in an instant, huffing and puffing, and even putting my arm into cold water.

I sighed once the coldness washed over my overheated arm. I was worried at first, thinking I burnt my skin off, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Slowly, I placed the tea cup on a saucer and walked out where my teacher was already conversing with someone... Someone twice her size..
Uh..

Why was he so tall?!
He needs some shrinking tea.. Damn..

"Ah, Aime-chan!" Chiyako waved at me enthusiastically. I walked over to them suspiciously, my scrutinizing gaze never leaving the tall man's features. Strange, he looked familiar..