A journey begins

The Sinclair household is quiet, a shadow of its former lively self. Elizabeth stands in her childhood bedroom, packing the last of her belongings into a suitcase. The room, once filled with the sounds of laughter and family, now echoes with the silence of loss and departure. Elizabeth is the last to leave the nest; her siblings have all moved out, each pursuing their own paths—some married, some in distant lands chasing their dreams.

*
In Elizabeth's room, adorned with faded posters and family photographs, a testament to the years gone by.

Elizabeth gently places a framed photo of her mother into her suitcase "I'll miss you, Mom. I hope I make you proud."

She takes one last look around her room, her heart heavy with memories. As she zips up her suitcase, her father appears in the doorway, his face a mask of stoic composure.

Mr. Sinclair clearing his throat said "Are you ready, Elizabeth?"

"Yes, Dad. I'm ready." Elizabeth says nodding, trying to smile.

They walk downstairs together, the silence between them filled with unspoken words. The house feels emptier than ever, with only the echoes of their footsteps filling the space.

The driveway, where Mr. Sinclair's car is packed and ready to go. The sun is just beginning to rise, casting a golden hue over the suburban neighborhood.
Mr. Sinclair opening the car door for her asked "You have everything? Money, books, your phone charger?"

Elizabeth smiling softly replied "Yes, Dad. I've got everything."

Mr. Sinclair hesitating, pulled her into a brief, awkward hug "You know I'm proud of you, right?"

"I know, Dad. Thank you."
Elizabeth holding back tears says

As they drive away, Elizabeth watches her childhood home fade into the distance, replaced by highways and unfamiliar scenery. Her mind races with thoughts of the future, mingled with the pain of leaving the past behind.

The drive to the university is filled with a heavy silence, punctuated only by the occasional hum of the engine and the whirr of the tires on the road. Elizabeth's thoughts are a whirlwind of anticipation and anxiety. She clutches a small, worn notebook—her mother's—filled with recipes, songs, and notes of encouragement. It's her most treasured possession, a piece of home she takes with her.

Elizabeth sitting in the back seat, her suitcase beside her.

Elizabeth's thoughts reflecting "This is it. A new start. I have to make the most of it, for Mom, for my family, and for myself."

The closer they get to the university, the more Elizabeth feels a mix of excitement and nervousness. The landscape changes from rural fields to urban sprawl, and finally to the vibrant, sprawling campus of the university.

She heads towards the orientation hall, where she will soon meet the people who will shape her journey over the coming years.