Davina's Promise

New Orleans 2013

Davina Claire sat on the grass in an empty baseball field holding a baby named Hope Andrea Mikealson in her lap. If someone had told her two years ago that she would be helping raise the daughter of one of the most feared Vampires to walk the earth she'd have called them crazy after hexing them painfully.

Yet her she was enjoying time with the offspring of Klaus Mikealson. It was crazy yet peaceful. Davina would gladly babysit this child anytime Hayley needed a break. She wasn't fussy at all in fact Hope was the exact opposite. Why so many wanted to kill such a sweet and innocent child boggled her mind. There was no way this child would be the end of the supernatural. Placing a kiss on the baby's head she looked off in the distance.

"You poor girl, you have no idea how many enemies your family has made." She said mostly to herself. Davina didn't have the best relationship with her mother. However she knew like any parent she just wanted what was best for her daughter. In that moment she made a choice that would affect both girls future drastically.

Present Day

Davina looked at the clock her next patient was just outside. While Davina never pictured herself being a school psychologist, she could thank cami for that. The woman had inspired her before her death. She had asked Davina to look at Klaus as the man she'd met and become friends with. A man who had simply had a bad upbringing and was in darkness for centuries.

It hadn't been easy but Davina was able to put her hatred of the man behind her. Meeting Kole's father had put things in perspective. Klaus was a ruthless killer but so was Kole. Hell all vampires were. But Mikael was the real monster. The stories Rebekah had told Davina filled in the blanks. Did that excuse all of the man's actions?

Absolutely not, still Davina kept her promise to the woman. The girl from New Orleans eventually got to know the man beneath the monster. She had even went back to college and got a degree in psychology. She never thought she'd actually get to use it.

That all changed when triad attacked the school. The Mikealson family was not happy with Alaric. His biased book, the way he treated Hope like a weapon, and didn't teach better offensive magic. body bind spells and pain infection were good spells to know. But they wouldn't work on everyone. So Davina and Freya were both now teaching at the school.

The student council had voted and Alaric was no longer headmaster. Caroline had returned for good taking her role as headmistress. And unlike Alaric she didn't limit the students potential. Vampires were allowed to have human blood if they could control it? Witches were now taught offensive magic, and Alaric's book was taken off the shelves of the library.

Caroline had offered Davina and Freya jobs at the school Freya accepted wanting to be closer to Hope. Davina was a little hesitant but decided to take Caroline up on her offer.

So now Davina found herself opening the door to the waiting room looking at the werewolf that was her next patient.

"Rafael?" Davina said looking at the boy sitting in the chair. He was a very attractive young man with a tall stature and an athletic build. He had dark brown eyes and short, slightly curled black hair.

"That's me." The werewolf said standing up and looked at the school counselor who also happened to be related to the girl he had a crush on.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Clair, Davina." She said shaking the teenager's hand. The witch had decided to use her maiden name. Because just saying the name Mikealson in the school seemed to intimidate the staff and students.

"You'll be working with me, if that's okay." She said offering the boy a comforting smile.

"Yeah, that's awesome." Rafael said returning the smile. Davina could see why most of the witches were jealous of her niece. Though Hope would deny being attracted to him if anyone asked her.

"Thanks but the jury's still out," Davina said "I'm sorry I shouldn't be joking." She apologized realizing it wasn't very professional to be joking around with a patient. Rafael didn't seem to care it was nice to actually meet a staff member who had a sense of humor.

"I graduated two years ago and have been working here for six months. But I promise, I do know what I'm doing." She assured.

"I'm glad one of us does." Rafael stated causing the witch to smile. Maybe this job wouldn't be as hard as she thought.

"Come in and make yourself comfortable." She said leading the boy into her office.

****

Darkness that's what surrounded him. An endless path of nothing. No trees, no grass, and no friends. Any other living being would have fallen into disrepair and lost all hope living in complete darkness and isolation. 

But Titan had been alone as long as he could remember. So the silence and absence of people didn't bother him. Titan preferred being alone. That was until he met his friends in the jungle, until he met Hope.

He snorted, eyeing the corpses of his most recent attackers. They had been more of an annoyance than a threat. Now the fire demon, dragon, giant spider, and predators that lived in the jungle were a threat. No foe in her seemed to be a worth fighting still, he'd rather be safe than sorry.

____________

A/N: I know this chapter focused on Davina a lot but I plan for her to play a big part in this story and as well as give Davina a chance to shine. I removed Alaric from the story because he's not that great of a headmaster, he's a human with weapons in a school full of kids who could kill him in less then a second if they wanted to. Caroline on the other hand can relate to the students. She was turned at seventeen.

As for Freya let's just say that the witches of the Salvatore school are going to be ready for any threat that comes their way after graduation.

Sincerely
Dan.