𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

⸻Time seemed to crawl by as Emily, Jessica, Chris, and Ashley sat in silence, waiting for Sam and Matt to return with Mike and Josh. The room was filled with an oppressive tension, the weight of the night's horrors hanging over them like a suffocating shroud. Each of them was lost in their own thoughts, grappling with the fear and trauma that had transformed their once vibrant selves into shadows of who they used to be.

Emily glanced around, taking in the somber expressions of her friends. Ashley was rubbing her hands together compulsively, occasionally gripping her hair as she fought back tears and struggled to control her ragged breathing. The sight of her usually composed friend unraveling filled Emily with a deep sense of empathy. It was then fizzled from her seeping anger towards the paranoid redhead. Jessica, on the other hand, looked utterly exhausted. Every time she tried to close her eyes, she would jolt awake with a panicked whimper, her body betraying the fear that gnawed at her insides. Emily felt a pang of sorrow for her, understanding all too well the torment of being unable to find peace even in sleep.

Chris, who normally would have been cracking jokes or offering comforting theories, was eerily silent. He had been staring at the same spot for what felt like hours, his mind seemingly trapped in a loop of tormenting thoughts. Emily recognized the look in his eyes—he was reliving the night's events over and over again, unable to escape the memories that haunted him.

And then there was Emily herself. She had always been strong, confident, and self-assured, but now she felt vulnerable and powerless. The flashbacks were relentless, dragging her back to the mines where she had been alone, terrified, and fighting for her life. She saw Beth's corpse, the image forever burned into her mind. She remembered the Wendigo's relentless pursuit, the searing pain in her shoulder—a permanent reminder of her close encounter with death. But the most painful memory of all was almost being killed by Mike, someone she had once loved deeply. The betrayal and hurt twisted inside her, filling her with a burning resentment. She wished nothing but the worst for him, hoping he would understand the pain and trauma he had inflicted upon her. In contrast, she longed for Matt's return, the one who had been there for her through it all.

Ashley checked her wristwatch—it was 6:25 am. Over an hour had passed since Sam and Matt had left. The silence was broken only by the ticking of the clock and the occasional creak of the old lodge. She hoped desperately that they would return soon, bringing Mike and Josh with them so they could finally escape this nightmare. She glanced over at Chris, who seemed to snap out of his trance. He hopped off the desk he had been sitting on, wincing in pain. Ashley rushed to his side, her concern for him momentarily overshadowing the animosity she felt from Emily's stare.

Ashley watched Chris as he struggled to stand, his face pale with pain. He looked towards the door, determination etched on his features. She rushed towards him, her concern evident.

"Are you okay?" Ashley asked, her voice trembling slightly.

"I'm fine, Ash," Chris snapped, not meeting her eyes.

Ashley didn't take Chris's harshness to heart. She understood his agitation. She watched as he walked towards the door, every step filled with determination.

"Chris, where are you going?" she asked, worry creeping into her voice.

"I'm going to find Sam," he replied, his tone resolute.

"Chris, are you nuts?! You can't go wandering around in that condition," Ashley protested, stepping in front of him to block his path.

"I'll take my chances. Our friends are out there, probably lost and defenseless," Chris said, his voice rising in frustration.

"Chris, you heard what Sam said—" Ashley began, but Chris cut her off.

"Christ! Ash! Do you not hear yourself?" he shouted, his anger boiling over.