(7)• Poison

Riley stood by the door of her apartment, looking through the peep hole in the door. Maya sad nonchalantly on the couch, tapping her stubby fingernails on the stool beside her.
"Anyone out there?" Maya's raspy voice filled the silent void.
Riley stood silently for a second, and then her voice shakily jumped out of her throat.
"Yeah... there's a few people..." You could hear the fear in her voice.
"Let them in then!" The blonde said, pulling her hand away from the stool and resting it on the arm of the couch.
Riley pulled the door open a crack, peering out at the large amount of people gathered on the other side of it.
"Oh, God." She muttered, swinging the door open and running to her room almost immediately after.

The partygoers made their way in, including Blake, who made his way straight to the couch, down sitting next to Maya.
"Nice place."
"Yeah." The petite blonde nodded.
"Anyone else live here with you? Must be expensive."
"Yeah. My roommate, the funny little brunette in the dress that looks like a dandelion vomited on her." She nervously grinned.
"Ah, so what happened with her?"
"She's not really into the party scene. She'd rather read cheesy romance novels and text irrelevants."
"I wish she'd come join the chaos."
"Oh, no you don't."
"Why not? She's cute."
"Yeah, but like, still wears kiwi lip gloss and watches Care Bears kind of cute."
"She still watches Care Bears?" He raised an eyebrow.
"No, stupid. I was over-exaggerating her innocence."
"Well, I think she's cute."
"She wouldn't think you're cute."
"God, please don't tell me she's gay too?"
Maya snorted.
"Blake, no! She's literally the straightest girl I've ever met."
"Then why can't I get to know her?"
"It's a bad idea, Blake."
"I know. Now let's go." He stood up fast.

•*•*•

"Maya?" Riley jumped as her friend cracked the door open.
"Yeah, it's me. There's someone who wants to meet you."
"What? Why would someone want to meet me?"
"Just come down and socialize, okay?"
"No, Maya! These aren't my people. Not my crowd."
"Pleeaaaaaase?" The blonde looked up at her old friend with huge, tired puppy eyes.
"Ugh, fine."

•*•*•

"Want something to drink?" Blake asked, gesturing to the bottles of cheap liquor which sat on the kitchen counter.
"No thanks, I'd rather not poison myself. I'm too young, anyways." Riley quickly brushed off the offer.
"Riley," Maya rolled her eyes. "It's not poison, if it were I'd be long past dead." The blonde held her glass of whiskey out to her former friend. "Come on, try some."
"No, Maya! I'm not drinking that disgusting stuff!"
"You don't even know what it tastes like, don't call it disgusting." She said, coughing a foul smelling cloud in Riley's face.
Riley coughed in response, covering her mouth and nose with her hands. "If it tastes anything like that, I think I'll pass."
"C'mon" Maya pleaded, "Just one sip, it's actually good."
Riley sighed, giving in. She reluctantly let Maya hold the glass to her mouth and pour some of the cheap liquid down her throat. She scrunched up her face.
"Maya, it tastes weird!"
"But not bad, right? It takes a while to get used to."
"It's weird."
"I know. Want more?"
Riley nodded slightly, taking the glass from the blonde's hand.

Maya watched as one glass lead to another, until eventually both their consciousness had faded.