Restart

A loud cry could be heard across the hall. A small newborn screamed and begged to be fed. 2 adults smiled and teared with joy as they hovered over the baby. A doctor appeared, ready to examine the baby boy for any health concerns.

  "Your son seems to be a healthy baby boy. Is this your first?" The doctor asked out of curiosity.

  "Yes! And I'm so grateful for this little guy!" The tall male yelped back as he adored the stinky baby.

A few years later...

  The young boy went by a name called Derek. He ran around with his toy cars and always held on tight to his parents. The 2 parents called him a clingy baby, though they didn't mind.

  One night, the boy Derek had awoken in fear and sweat. The room that was spinning soon came to an end as he relaxed his breathing. He ran down the hall, took a sharp left, stumbled onto the carpet, and tugged rapidly on the sheets. The mother had turned her messy bed hair, groaning as she opened her eyes halfway.

  "Derek.. It's 2 in the morning, baby. Why are you waking mommy up now??" She questioned him as she was ready to go back to sleep as quickly as she woke up. The boy stared at his feet, still gasping for air.

  "Mommy, I had a nightmare where a pretty girl was taken away from me. And that I was really sad, that I tried to go to sleep forever." He didn't understand death, but he knew what it meant to never wake up again. The young girl felt so familiar, he was most shaken by that. His mother flipped opened the blanket, and patted in the empty space in front of her which signaled him to hop onto the bed. He climbed up onto the bed, snuggled in her arms, and was tucked in was a kiss and warm blankets.

  The mother began to sing a small song, nothing special to the world, but was everything to the boy in that scary moment. He didn't want to feel that to feel that again.

  Years speed by, it was time for 8th grade. Derek went to bed the night before, excited for his last year at his school and to be off to high school. In the morning, no birds sung a song or came in through the window to untuck the covers from him. Instead, his mother poured cold water in his ear as a little tease. She ran off quickly before he had jolted up with a defensive move.

  Up Derek went, shaking off the 'cold' shoulder. He took off his shirt, revealing his skinny waist and scrawny back. Though he didn't look like it, he could take on a good and rough opponent with the guarantee of victory.

  He replaced the old shirt with a black long sleeve  and a grey T shirt as for layers. He proceeded to change his sweats to cargos and a pair of tennis shoes good enough to last the day in. Derek snatched his backpack that held all of his books of knowledge. He then placed in a necklace for accessories and some cologne for good smell. He went across the hall, up to the sink, grabbed a toothbrush and paste, to then brush out the gunk off his teeth.

  Derek finished up his hygiene and escaped the restroom. He went toward the kitchen, smelling a good set of French toasts. A small peek towards the counter, and ingredients filled the space. There was syrup, brown sugar, cracked eggs, milk, butter, dirty spoons, and so much more! It was a feast before school.

  "Derek! Take a couple of plates and forks please and set them up for all 3 of us please!" His mother called out to him.

  "Yea sure mom."

  "It's Yes Ma'am."

  "Yes ma'am!"

  He did as told, and set up the table for the 3 of the cozy family. Soon, the father had came running down the stairs. He is ready to gobble up whatever he was fed. All 3 soon came to sit down, say grace, and dig into the meal.

  "Big day for you, ain't it?" His father said as he was stuffing his face with eggs and looking for the milk. Derek handed it to him as he begun to answer.

  "For sure, but it'll be a bigger day once I graduate." Every 8 grader promotion is like a small graduation version. It's always a big deal to move into a new chapter.

  "Awww my baby's all grown up!" Mother had squeezed his cheeks as she walked by with dishes. He tried to fight back, but got a hand smack and a kiss on the forehead. Derek had hand her his dishes and helped to put away the remaining food and liquids. Keys dangled by the door as his father went to the welcome mat. Derek came to the door as his backpack shook with every running step. They both headed out the door with waving goodbyes, arrived to the car, buckled up, and drove off to school first.

  It was time for school, and Derek has a new mission for this year: make it out alive.

Hiii! This is the writer here, I just wanted to say that I'm a lazy writer so there will be some weeks where I don't write but chapters will be out. Btw it's almost my birthday in like 2 days so Yipppeeee! Bye bye <3