10. Chapter

Jason - eleven years ago

From downstairs, I could hear Christmas carols, and since morning, I had seen my sister running around in her performance outfit. No matter how much Mom tried to admonish her, she still did things her own way. I preferred to stay safely closed in my room, just staring at the ceiling. She had replied a while ago, but I hadn't looked at it yet; I didn't want her to think I was waiting for her message since yesterday. I couldn't hold out any longer and took a look.

Where did you even get my number from? Wait, let me think. Either it was Clara because she's always in the clouds, or PJ stole her phone, but I'm more inclined to believe option one. But since we're on the topic, would it be a problem if someone else came with us?

I chuckled at the beginning of the message, but the next part wasn't so funny. What? Why would she want someone else to come with us? But I couldn't bring myself to say no.

Not at all.

Great, she'll probably bring her brother, who has no clue what a razor is, and that will ruin the evening. Mom has been preparing dinner since morning, and I planned to invite her over. It would be a chance for her to meet the better part of my family. I know it might be a hasty move, but this would be a unique opportunity to get to know her because, as I know the women in my family, they won't let her catch a breath with their questions. Since I'm not one to invade personal space, I'll let others do it.

She replied that it was wonderful, and I couldn't wait for seven pm.

I waited in front of the theater entrance. I had brought my sister here a few hours earlier so she could get ready. In my opinion, she already was, but I wasn't going to interfere.

I saw her getting out of a taxi in a beautiful green dress that matched her eyes, but then I noticed that blonde girl who always throws me dirty looks whenever she gets the chance.

"Hi," Naomi greeted me first with a sweet smile. Meanwhile, I extended my hand to her friend for an introduction.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Jason," she reluctantly accepted it.

"El, but only my friends call me that, and something tells me we will never be friends, so call me Eloise," she pulled her hand out of the shake and went inside.

"I apologize for her," Naomi turned to me. "I've been telling her all day to behave. She wanted to come because she's convinced you're a serial killer who wants to sell my organs," we both laughed at that, and I offered her my arm to go find that witch.

The hall was packed, not a single seat free. My sister has a knack for performing in the largest national theater, ballet. I never doubted she could make it this far.

As was customary at Christmas, they were performing The Nutcracker with Tillie in the lead role.

Mom wanted to come too, but when I accidentally mentioned that I might have a date, she distanced herself and started preparing a lavish dinner, including dessert.

"Oh, I almost forgot," I leaned towards Naomi, who was sitting on my left. "Mom invites you to dinner, actually both of you, since I feel your friend here invited herself," she laughed at that and went to tell Eloise. She just gave me another dirty look, and the performance could begin.

"That was beautiful," Naomi gushed on the way to the car.

"Thanks, you can come to the next one if you want, I always steal tickets from the dressing room."

"I'd love to, but I'd rather pay for it," I seated everyone in the car, but Tillie beat her to the front seat, so she deserved the hateful look as well.