Chapter 2: Coffee

I died. I got hit by a bus and died, and now I'm trapped in the worst book in the world?? Not only that, but as the villainess who will DIE at the end?!
My head starts to pound.
In the corner of my eye, I notice a small mirror on my bedside. Snatching it, I cautiously take a look, not knowing what I was expecting. Seeing my usual wavy, dark-brown hair and green eyes, I felt grateful for at least that. At least my body is actually mine. Let's make the best out of this situation.

It was a gray and cloudy morning, the black BMW drove out of the long driveway. Looking back at the house- no, mansion, I could've never imagined living in anything so luxurious in my last life.
This is going to take some time to get used to.
I've already refused to take the super-flashy limousine to the university, which profoundly confused my 'mother'.
-
'What's wrong with the limo? Is the model out of style now?'
No, I just don't feel like obnoxiously announcing my presence wherever I go.
'No, I just... uh.. want to practice driving more!'
-

Trying to pay attention to the gps, I absentmindedly drive down the road. The gloomy weather is sucking the life out of what little energy I have left. "How am I supposed to survive in this world?"
Let's review what I know so far. Peter is the male lead who is a grade A asshole. He destroys what he wants to destroy, fucks what he wants to fuck, and of course, there is no price too big for anything he wants to have. Stay away from him. Heidi is Peter's ultimate goal, and because of that, my ultimate killer. She is reserved and smart, but the way the book describes her killing 'me' in cold blood kinda makes me wanna shit my pants. So, let's stay away from her as well. Boom! I get to live! Sounds easy enough.

Spotting what looks like a local cafe on the side of the road, I pull in. Let's get coffee first. The shop is rather cozy, with soft music playing, and attractive college students everywhere looking mysterious and diligent doing their schoolwork. The barista slid out my vanilla oat milk latte. After picking it up, I absentmindedly walk towards the exit.

The first meeting between the male and female protagonists should happen on the first day of classes, so that should be today if I'm not mistaken. Trying to rack my brains to remember the specifics, I hear a commotion from across the store.

"Oh no! I am so sorry!"
A tall man, who is obviously feigning remorse, picks up a thin napkin to 'help clean up' coffee conveniently split on the woman's boobs. With the woman's back facing me, it was hard to make out what she was thinking at the moment.
Without missing a beat, the woman slapped his hand away as if it were an annoying fly.
"I don't need any help from you."

As if to leave, the woman turns away, but her hand is firmly caught by the man behind her.

What the fuck! This man obviously is harassing her, and everyone is just watching like it's Saturday Night Live!
I strode across the store to the scene.

"Let me make it up to you! I'll take you out shopping for a new shirt, and if you're lucky I might even call it a date." The ugliest smirk showcased on this man's face, as if he was God's gift from above blessing this woman.

Wedging myself in-between the two, I break free his grip on her. "Sorry, but I already have a shirt she can use." Making sure he can feel my glare, I watch his smirk drop in annoyance. Before he could speak any more, I lead her into the bathroom of the shop, away from him.

Feeling her eyes on me, my face heats up as I realize my hand is still holding hers even after we stopped. I quickly and unnaturally release her hand.
"W, what a prick he was!"
Trying to talk to cover up my embarrassment.
Before the woman could answer, I blurted out again. "Here, wear my sweatshirt, I have a tee shirt underneath so it'll be fine for me." In one swift motion I whip off my sweatshirt, resulting my hair looking like a rats nest, presenting it to her.

The woman looked at me blankly, and in the next second burst into giggles. That's cute. Dying down into a nice smile, she took my sweatshirt.
"Thanks, I owe you one."
Just as my face was beginning to cool down, she gracefully pulls off her blouse, halfway revealing a smooth stomach. Before I could see more, I do a 180 degree turn so swift like a GI Joe being commanded by a Sargent. I focus on the grooves in the yellow tiled floor, ignoring the rustling of clothes.

"You can turn around, now."
She steps closer to me, and begins to fix my messy hair. I take the chance to study her features. Her skin was smooth and clear, but if you look close enough you would see a small mole fashioned right under her left eye. With delicate and clean brows, she was just about the opposite of my full eyebrows and freckled face. She had flowing blonde hair did in the style of half-up half-down, with a cute white lace tying it up in the back, looking juxtaposed paired with my lazy sweatshirt I threw on this morning.

"What's your name?" She asks, tidying what seems like the last unkempt strand of my hair. Whether I was dizzy by her touch or her good-looks, I answer dazedly, "Carmen Moore.."
"Carmen, what a beautiful name. My name is Heidi."
What? What did she say? I snap awake.
She continues.
"Heidi Dawson."
...fuck.