one

Athena Louise

Boring things have limited time, but I was trying to be limitless.

Getting into Clarkson University was one of my main objectives during the last months of me being 16. A school where my parents persuaded to study medicine with the acceptance rate of 4.27 percent, I was thrilled trying to gas light myself that I can. Without a background so good as I should be getting, there is no chances of me getting into Harvard with a crappy background of my final 2 years in high school. Junior and senior year was a pretty big deal knowing that it determines where you go.

Right now, I had no back ups. It's either getting the impossible or be stuck as a low class good for nothing child. I didn't want to upset my parents, they dreamed of me being the first lawyer of the family. After all, I really do live for the validation this family pressures me with. What are the odds of me getting lucky any time soon? Pretty high.

I decided to work hard for the entrace exam. Every night before the exam day, I would study at least 2 hours every day for it. Even if the exam was 2 months away, I tend to push myself and try to always give it a shot and gather as much knowledge a 16 year old should have. Even on vacation, I would still stay in my room and you'd find me either eating, sleeping, or studying. This entrance exam was important for me and my image, knowing that my life depended on it, I was willing to sacrifice my all. That's how much I am dedicated for this school alone.

After all chaos, tired nights of studying, and over thinking about my self worth, the exam came. I was still contemplating if I should go or not, but I knew the answer to that. My parents were so happy on the way that it made me guilty, thinking that the stakes are high that I might not get in.

Expecting the unexpected was my thing.

'...Athena Louise Vergosen, rank 2 with a score of 94 out of 100...'

As long as I heard my name on that stage, that is all that mattered to me. Of course the first but rank was much better but I got carried away with the excitement where my parents hugged me then told me they were proud that I got in to the school where I can open doors for a better future. I knew I deserved this, so I owned it. I can get the first rank when I do, and it will be when I start to excell in this class.

Out of 6100 plus students who tried to get in, only 100 students will be able to join Clarkson University. There were 4 sections per grade, and in one clasroom, there will be 25 students. Every classroom indicates a different intelligent level, with Classroom A1 with the highest, to Classroom D4 being the lowest. If you ask me, it's still really smart if you're in D4 because after all, you are in Clarkson. The room assignment was given to us by Gmail, and of course, I was assigned to be in Classroom A1. All I was left to do was celebrate my birthday before enrolling in this one heck of a school.

July 18 came and we ate cake. I was 17, free and limitless. All felt like a dream, my parents being proud and me making myself feel that after a long time, I am worthy. Worthy to be loved, to be treasured, and to be treated like a human. There was 2 weeks more left, and all I did was send my enrollment form, and I rested before any stress could crumple me up again.

It all was just a blur. A really fast blur.

I was now living alone, because my parents refuse to let me live with other people. In a house about 5 minutes away when you drive, and far away from San Deigo.  Clarkson University is in San Alfonso. A 2 hour drive from home. It was a big change for me, my parents had to buy me a car and a house for me to live in, as well as everything should be in place, the bills aren't a big deal but I usually just stay in my room. I had to learn how to drive which was quite easy. Everything was in a good pace. I was genuinely happy after all the worry and after this, I'd still be stress over the work but at least i'm in my dream. The stress will fade anyway.