Need to know

Kevin's penthouse, once a sanctuary, now resembled a war zone of papers, wires, and blinking screens. The space buzzed with the hum of machinery. Kevin sat hunched over his workstation, eyes bloodshot and unblinking as they scanned through lines of data. His fingers danced across the keyboard with a feverish intensity, searching for any pattern, any anomaly that could explain the events of that tragic night.

He had rerun their models countless times, each iteration a desperate attempt to reconstruct the timeline that led to Vanessa's death. The algorithms had proved flawless in predicting crises and saving lives before; surely he must have missed something, some variable overlooked to model that evening and get to the truth.

"Come on," he muttered under his breath, his voice hoarse from days without rest. "There has to be something..."

The screen flickered, showing the same cold data he had pored over for days—probability distributions, event likelihoods, potential interventions. He zoomed in on the precise moment Vanessa was attacked at the gala. The numbers mocked him with their precision and detachment.

He pulled up surveillance footage from the venue provided by the police, replaying it frame by frame. Vanessa's elegant figure moved through the crowd, her smile warm and welcoming as she greeted guests. Kevin's heart clenched as he watched her every gesture, every glance. He slowed the footage further as she stepped out onto the balcony for fresh air.

"There," he whispered fiercely, zooming in on a shadowy figure lurking near the entrance. "Who are you?"

Kevin cross-referenced timestamps with their data logs, trying to pinpoint when and how this intruder had slipped through unnoticed. He scoured across guest lists, security reports, anything that might shed light on this mysterious presence.

His mind raced as he considered every possibility—had someone tampered with their model? Did he forget to account for some external factor? He pulled up historical data from previous successful interventions, comparing patterns and variables.

"This doesn't make sense," he muttered to himself, frustration mounting.

He scribbled notes furiously on a whiteboard crammed with equations and diagrams. Arrows connected disparate events in a tangled web of causality. Kevin's handwriting grew more frantic as he mapped out potential scenarios to fill the gaps.

"Maybe if I adjust this variable here..." he thought aloud, altering a probability weight in one of his models. He reran the simulation, watching intently as new outcomes unfolded on the screen.

The result remained unchanged—Vanessa's death still loomed inevitable and unexplained.

"No!" Kevin slammed his fist on the desk in frustration. "There has to be a way!"

He couldn't accept it; he wouldn't accept it. He delved deeper into their research archives, pulling up raw datasets from early experiments and recalibrating parameters in increasingly complex variations. Hours turned into days as Kevin's obsession consumed him entirely.

His body screamed for rest—eyes stung from lack of sleep; muscles ached from being hunched over for too long. But Kevin ignored these physical demands. His mind buzzed with calculations and probabilities; nothing else mattered except finding a way to understand completely what had happened.

He experimented with new algorithms designed to predict human behavior more accurately than ever before—factoring in variables such as emotional states and environmental influences. He tweaked models to account for even the most minute fluctuations in probability distributions.

As he worked tirelessly through night after sleepless night—pushing himself beyond physical limits—Kevin clearly appeared willing to sacrifice everything: his health; his sanity; anything if it meant discovering how that tragic night occurred.

But no matter how many times he altered variables or reran simulations or scrutinized footage—the outcome remained heartbreakingly constant: Vanessa's murder stayed unexplained across all probabilities...

And what if he found something anyway? What if he could reconstruct second by second all the events pertaining to Vanessa's death? What if he mapped it all? Beyond catching the culprit... were there a way to change the outcome? To replay the scene? To avoid the unavoidable, to modify the simulation and find a way to apply those modifications into the past, play it again like the level of a video game until the perfect ending? The extreme fatigue was starting to play tricks with his genius mind, bordering both on insanity and irrationality...