Followed are we?

The corridors stretched endlessly in all directions, a dizzying labyrinth of sterile gray that seemed to shift and warp with each passing moment. Kevin's footfalls echoed hollowly as he pressed deeper into the bowels of Blake's subterranean complex, the weight of his subterfuge hanging like a shroud upon his shoulders.

Every shadow took on a malevolent aspect, each flickering light a portent of discovery and ruin. His every nerve ending was afire with dread, the urgency to remain unseen warring with the imperative need to press forward. He navigated the maze of intersections, his grip tightening around the innocuous data cylinder clutched in his hand.

The information it contained was the key, the complete simulation for the nightmarish evening, updated to fit the newly installed holographic chamber.

A muted clang echoed from a branching corridor, the faint metallic reverberation sending a jolt of panic lancing through Kevin's chest. He froze, every muscle coiled as he strained to discern the source of the disturbance. Seconds ticked by in an agonizing crawl, the silence stretching taut until it thrummed like a plucked wire.

Just as Kevin's nerves began to fray, a voice pierced the stillness, little more than a muffled rumble reverberating across the metal bulkheads. He released the breath he'd been holding, his lungs burning from the exertion, and pressed onward through the maze of corridors.

Each step was an exercise in agonizing restraint, his footfalls muffled by the rubberized soles of his boots. The cylinder remained clutched in a white-knuckled grip, its innocuous exterior belying the profundity of the data it contained. If Blake's forces were to confiscate it...

The thought was too terrible to entertain, a yawning abyss that threatened to swallow him whole. Kevin shunted it aside with a savage wrench of his will, focusing instead on the path that lay before him. One step, then another, each footfall bringing him closer to the sanctuary of his sanctum, the nerve center of his desperate campaign.

At last, the featureless gray gave way to the reassuring familiarity of the chamber's reinforced bulkhead. Kevin slowed his pace, ears pricked for any hint of pursuit, and pressed his palm against the biometric scanner. The access panel flashed a vivid emerald, and with a pneumatic hiss, the portal slid aside to admit him.

Only once the unyielding metal had sealed behind him did Kevin permit himself to relax, his shoulders slumping as the tension bled from his frame. A ragged exhalation spilled from his lips as he crossed to the central console, deftly slotting the cylinder into its receptacle.

"You're running out of time..."

The words were little more than a whisper, a haunting susurrus that seemed to emanate from the very walls themselves. Kevin's head whipped around, his eyes searching the empty expanse for the source of that spectral utterance.

"Who's there?" The demand lashed out, raw desperation fraying at the edges.

Only silence answered his query, the stillness taking on an oppressive weight that seemed to press in from all sides. Kevin's chest heaved with each ragged inhalation as he fought to still the rising tide of panic that threatened to overwhelm him.

"It's just the stress..." he rasped, more to convince himself than to address any unseen presence. "The pressure's getting to me..."

Yet even as the words fell from his lips, an icy trickle of dread trailed down his spine. The isolation, the relentless strain of maintaining his charade within Blake's fortress, it was all rapidly taking its toll. How much longer could he retain this facade before the cracks began to show?

A tremor rattled his outstretched hand as he keyed the activation sequence, the holographic projection flickering into scintillating existence before him. Time was rapidly contracting, the opportunities for action dwindling with each passing day. He had to remain focused, had to maintain an iron discipline, lest his fragile construct of lies be stripped away.