Chapter 8

Jennie had a pleasant time. Evelyn seemed strangely pleased to have her around now she thought she was sleeping with Roseanne. Ella seemed excited to get to know the parent of her impending niece or nephew. Charles was cordial, sharing the most in common with Jennie, but being most talkative in one on one encounters around the mansion. Jennie surmised he was a very introverted man, and handled himself better when not in a group setting.

Roseanne remained moody, swinging between thawing with Jennie and getting upset with her. She showed her breathtaking spots around Marseille, but kept aloof. She was keeping Jennie at an arms'-length still.

Jennie spent the last two nights of their trip in her own room, back to her inability to sleep.

She wondered if the reason she had slept through on her first night was because of Roseanne wrapped tightly around her.

It was their last morning in France and they were having breakfast outside on the vast lawn.

Roseanne was pouting about the fact she couldn't have any coffee, and her father was trying to placate her.

Jennie had finished her breakfast quickly, and now she was messing around on the lawn with Ella. The blonde had really taken to her.

"Want to see something cool?" Jennie asked.

Ella's eyes lit up and Jennie grinned.

"Oui! What is it?" Ella asked excitedly.

"Can you do... this?!" Jennie asked, before leaping forward. As she leapt forward, her body shifted and she transformed into a small cat.

"Mon Dieu! Maman! Papa! Did you see that?!" Ella was beyond excited. Jennie knew younger witches and wizards loved to see an animagus.

She'd learnt how to do it soon after leaving Hogwarts, inspired by McGonagall, Sirius and even bloody Rita Skeeter. She'd regretted that she'd never learned until after the war-it would have been a fantastic way to get around undetected and escape capture.

She'd looked to Sirius and McGonagall when deciding her form. By picking domesticated animals, they'd been able to move around public places far easier than, say, a giant stag. Eunwoo's father certainly wouldn't have been able to move around a train station in animagus form.

Her form was a small cat. She was grey and long haired.

"She's so fluffy!" Ella squealed, patting Jennie's back.

Jennie chirruped, before rolling over and showing Ella her fluffy tum. This made Ella squeal even more.

She let Ella rub her belly for a moment before straightening up and changing back. She was giggling a little at the wide-eyed look on Ella's face.

"Jennie, that was soooo cool! I wanna do that!" Ella gushed as they walked back to join the others at the table.

"When you're older you'll be able to learn if you want," Jennie smiled, "And you can pick any animal you want!"

"Any animal?! Maman, did you hear that!" Ella was beyond excited.

Evelyn smiled serenely, nudging Roseanne. Roseanne was watching Jennie with a mix of surprise and happiness on her face. It was rare to see her showing emotion freely, and Jennie couldn't take her eyes off her.

"You are good with the young ones," Charles said with a smile.

"Oh, am I?" Jennie asked, "I just figured anyone would find an animagi interesting!"

"And I do!" Ella concurred, "Can you do it again?"

"Maybe in a bit," Jennie offered, "I'm a little tired right now. Did you know I once knew a woman who picked a beetle as their animagus form?"