Chapter 25

"Your honor, I would like to call Michael Grant to the stand."

And with those words that still felt surreal to be heard, Michael was brought to the witness stand, looking haughty and unbothered, the image of a wrongly accused high class industrialist crafted to perfection.

Grinding of teeth could be heard from the table where the prosecution sat.

The judge watched the scene, writing something down and gesturing for Artem to begin.

"Mister Grant." Artem took leisure steps towards him. So leisure as if this was saturday mocktail and not the end all-be all. "Could you please answer some questions in yes or no for me?"

"Of course."

"The 9 o'clock station, the city mall, and the Lloyd hotel– did you not arrange for bombs in these three sites?" Artem asked.

Whispers immediately arose through the crowd, surprised and incredulous.

"No," Michael answered. "Of course not."

"You are best off telling the truth, Mister Grant." Artem raised an eyebrow. "Perjury won't get you anywhere. Did you not get those bombs placed? And kidnap Rico Wayland when she was 17?"

"Objection, your honor," Cunningham interrupted, apparently having had enough of inflicting torture on his teeth. "Mister Wing is simply wasting the court's time. These questions are completely baseless."

"Mister Cunningham, these questions make the very heart of this case," Artem said coolly. "You should let the witness answer."

"I did neither," Michael said simply.

Artem's eyes gleamed. "Weren't you the one who stabbed my client, Mister Grant? Your fingerprints were found on the knife and you testimonied for it. If you knew nothing of her before, why were you so eager to get rid of her?"

"Purely self defense," Michael answered. "I was shot first."

I sighed. Where did this man think he would get to by vomiting out lies and stories?

"Your honor, may I?" Cunningham looked at the judge.

Judge nodded.

"If I am not wrong, Mister Wing," Cunningham began. "Didn't you admit to having pulled the trigger in front of Officer Oberoi?"

The judge's eyebrows shot up, interest highly piqued.

"Purely self defense," Artem answered. "I was about to be stabbed first."

Cunningham blinked and let out a mock chuckle. "Stabbed her, shot first, now stabbed first. Where is this story even going, your honor? Someone's saying something and the other just.." Cunningham made a futile gesture with his hands.

"You are right, Mister Cunningham." Artem nodded. "I should make the story clearer. In 2017, Rico Wayland was abducted by Michael Grant's brother, Sebastian Grant. For five years in continuation, she was experimented upon and brainwashed by this industrialist who was practicing illegally. In 2023, he placed the bombs and threw her in as the culprit to take the entire storm."

"And." Artem raised a finger, looking at Cunningham sternly who was about to object. "I am going to prove every word of mine in this session itself."

Judge peered at the debate through his glasses, too interested to even think about stopping it.

"I would like to call Avianna Grant, Michael Grant's daughter, to the witness stand," Artem said.

Michael's eyes widened, face losing all its color. His face whipped around to gape at his daughter arriving at the stand at the judge's gesture.