chapter 1

---

**Chapter 1: Bonds and Shadows**

Rohit Sharma stood at the edge of the Winter Hudson pack's territory, his gaze fixed on the horizon where the sun dipped below the distant hills. As Alpha, his presence commanded respect—a towering figure with a strong build and eyes that held the wisdom of one who bore the weight of leadership.

Tonight, however, his usual air of authority was tinged with an unspoken sorrow. The recent loss still echoed in the pack's collective heart, a wound that refused to heal. Ritika, his younger sister and the brightest soul in their pack, had taken her own life not long ago. Her absence left a void that even Rohit's steadfast leadership couldn't fill.

In his mind, memories flickered like distant stars in the night sky. He and Ritika, inseparable since childhood, had roamed these very woods, forging bonds deeper than blood. Ritika's laughter echoed in his thoughts, her teasing words a balm to his responsibilities as Alpha. But beneath her playful spirit lay a fierce determination and unwavering loyalty—to her brother, to their pack.

The loss was a raw ache in Rohit's chest, a reminder of his failure to protect her. Ritika had suffered silently, tormented by her mate's cruelty—a mate chosen not out of love, but of necessity, to strengthen ties between packs. Despite Rohit's efforts to shield her, Ritika's spirit had faltered, her light extinguished by the weight of unspoken pain.

Across the territory, Virat Kohli wandered alone. As a male omega, he walked with a quiet grace that belied the turmoil within. His presence was a study in contrasts—strength and vulnerability intertwined. Virat had always been the shadow to his older brother Vijay's light, never quite fitting the mold expected of a dominant alpha.

Since Ritika's death, Virat had withdrawn from his family and pack, haunted by memories of her kindness. He had loved her, albeit from afar, his feelings unspoken and unrequited. Ritika had treated him with the same warmth she reserved for Rohit—a sisterly affection that Virat cherished more than anything.

But Ritika's infertility had strained her mate's family, casting a shadow over her happiness. Virat, powerless to change her fate, had watched helplessly as she withered under the weight of expectation and disappointment.

Tonight, as he wandered beneath the canopy of trees, Virat couldn't escape the memories. Ritika's face, etched with sadness yet radiant with love, haunted him. He knew—deep down, from the moment they first met—that Rohit Sharma, Ritika's protective older brother and Alpha, was his mate. Ritika had sensed it too, a bond woven by fate and whispered by the moon.

Yet now, as Rohit's grief-stricken howl echoed through the night, Virat hesitated. The mate bond between them was undeniable, a thread connecting their souls across distance and sorrow. But could he accept it? Could he embrace the bond that fate had woven, despite the scars of the past and the expectations of their packs?

As Virat stood beneath the silver glow of the moon, his heart heavy with uncertainty, he knew one truth: their paths were entwined, their destinies bound by more than duty or tradition. The night held secrets, and in its quiet depths, Rohit and Virat's futures were poised to collide—two souls navigating the painful dance of love, loss, and redemption in the heart of the Winter Hudson pack.

---

This chapter establishes the characters of Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli, introduces their intertwined fates through Ritika's death, and sets the stage for the emotional and turbulent journey ahead. It blends themes of grief, duty, and the complexities of mate bonds in a world where strength and vulnerability intersect.