Chapter 23

Mew's pov:

I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked at the newbies standing in front of me, arranged in four neat rows.

Just by muscle tone and physique, I can tell there are a few who work out regularly. There are some who look quite skinny as well.

But I can't judge just by appearances.

I need to see them in combat to see their real abilities.

"My name is Mew Suppasit. I'm the former captain of the first division. I was discharged for obvious reasons a little over a year ago. P'Sam asked me to help train you before you are sent to the camp." I spoke in a loud, clear voice.

"Yes sir!" They said in unison.

Good. They have some level of training.

"You can be at ease. This is not the military as of now. We're focusing only on your combat, strategic planning, and quick thinking here. The people at the camp will teach you military etiquette when you go to the camp." I said firmly.

They sighed and relaxed their postures a bit.

"First, before I try to teach you anything, I need to know your current abilities. So I will be running a series of tests to see where you're at currently before we dive into training." I announced.

They nodded.

"Don't be mistaken. I'm not going to go easy on you just because I said this isn't the military. You will be going into battlefields and risking your lives. So the training will need to match up to what you will experience later on. My training will be strict and gruelling. Many in the army were not able to keep up while I was serving. I will test you and those who I deem to be unfit will be dismissed. You can ask for explanations for your dismissal if it occurs and I will be happy to explain, but I will not tolerate any kind of disrespect. Whether it be toward me or between each other, you will treat everyone with respect here. Just because my leg doesn't function as well as yours doesn't mean I can't send you to the ICU without breaking a sweat. And I won't need anyone's help in doing that. So keep that in mind." I took the file from Roland who was standing to my right.

I could see the nervousness and fear in their expressions as they nodded.

"Good. First, we'll start with the intellectual tests."

...........

I frowned as I watched the two spar with each other.

Their moves were sluggish. The moves are correct but their bodies are not honed well enough.

They have the basic sense of combat but they still have a long way to go. I can see potential.

I nodded to Roland who blew the whistle, signalling the end of the spar.

They both fell to the floor while panting.

I looked at the file in my hand and ticked near their names.

I looked at them, smiling when I saw them help each other up and compliment each other's skills.

Good personalities too.

"Next pair." I looked at the others.

Another pair got up from where they were sitting on the floor and came up.

.........

I gestured to Roland as I watched the last pair spar.

One of them was going very hard. He was obviously aiming to crush the other one who was obviously less experienced than him.