II - To the Rhythm of Steel and Disco Music

(August, Monday the 16th 2004)

The counselors hired on-the-spot had pulled out their best 80s disco playlist, and the lights were going through all the colors. In the rebuilt Mess Hall, the party was in full swing.

Timothy wore a simple outfit, made of a summer patterned top and bermuda shorts, but he had not separated from his checkered blanket, an essential accessory of his superhero costume.

Francis was standing next to him, nervous and a glass in hand. Indeed, she asked herself questions : what did she interrupt when the entered the room where Timmy was ? She discreetly watched him, who was looking for Jimmy.

He said he was going to look for Sarah. Finally, he spotted her : she had a pretty blue dress on, reflecting light in every direction, and she had gathered her strawberry blonde braids into one.

Jimmy was a little afraid to talk to her. She was taller than him, probably older, and was chatting with her camp friends. He looked over to Timmy and Francis. She was speaking with him.

-"... What was your hand doing in his hair ?"

The psychic's face caught fire, and he covered his mouth with a hand, completely surprised by such a question. He assured her with the other that it was not of that !

Francis laughed. Why was he so defensive all of a sudden if it was none of that ? It was all of that, for sure. She knew how her cousin felt about Jimmy, even if he told her about it.

-"What did you do, Tim ? Huh ?" she said,  taunting him with an elbow.

The psychic, as flustered and annoyed as he might be, was internally laughing too. He wasn't the only one hiding things from his best friend.

-"Hey fellas !"

The best friend came back from his quest : he failed. But it was far from bringing him down. Francis turned her head to the left, and tapped Timmy on the shoulder.

-"Well, i think someone's calling me from there !"

No one was calling her.

-"My god, Francis ! You're just going to leave me alone like that ?" Timmy said telepathically.

She gave him a thumbs up, a "good luck !" in the eyes, and went to the other side of the room.

Timmy seemed kind of bummed out, and Jimmy noticed that : he still felt guilty about the tragic scenario. He would do anything to see him happy, and he also was the master of stupid ideas.
But asking him was strangely weird, because it felt the same as if he were to ask Sarah. The same pang in the stomach and the same heat in the face.

They both were there, silent and confused, and they stayed like that for a moment. Then Jimmy put his plan into action.

-"If i ever asked you to come have a dance with me, would there be a chance, p-perchance, that you accept my proposition ?"

He said it so quickly that Timmy almost didn't understand him. But he did. He let go an absolutely shocked "Jimmy !" and brought his hands to his cheeks. He wasn't serious, wasn't he ? He couldn't even stand up properly for more than a few seconds, so dancing ? With him ? Jimmy ?!

-"Don't worry, I've got an idea for that, you'll be am-mazed by my g-genius !"

He rushed out of the Mess Hall. Meanwhile, Timmy's imagination was boiling : what was the comedian going to do ?

Timmy told himself he was no better that the girls at school who made lists about boys. Jimmy published some of them, very carefully selected, in the school newspaper and the latest one before summer vacation was titled : "Who is more likely of being a homosexual ?"