Some dreams are drafts

December, 2016

Mumbai

"Bhavika, could you check if my saree is touching the ground or if it's of the correct height..." 

Bhavika was sitting on her knees and looked up to shake her head and say, "No, It's not, it's perfect, Mummy." 

Sharada was about to smile when her mother in law, Premila rushed in from the bedroom, asking Bhavika to pull the saree slightly down so that the border of her petticoat wouldn't be visible. Bhavika gasped when she saw Premila. 

"Haaye, Dadi!!" 

Premila struggled to hide her smile as she swatted her hand on her head. 

"Haan Haan, keep complimenting me and your mother while being in pyjamas yourself. Now if you've helped us to your heart's will, will you please get ready, quickly? We're getting late." 

Bhavika jumped up in response she carefully carried her crimson ghaghra and yellow choli to the bedroom, knowing that she really needed to make haste or else her grandmother will eat her alive. 

The last week had been a whirlwind of colours, commutes and celebrations. Her cousin was getting married. The one sister whom Bhavika would usually meet during weddings itself was getting hitched to the love of her life and she wanted the festivities to be filled with laughter, dance and good food. Lots of good food. The three ladies of the Goardia family had their eyes on different counters with the eldest secretly enjoying the starters, especially anything that contained paneer or cheese and the youngest unabashedly helping herself with several servings of sitaphal basundi. What about, Sharada? Well she'd be spotted at the Pani Puri counter, having a blast as the spicy chutneys burned her tongue. 

Yes, she was one of those who enjoyed this kind of destruction. 

As Bhavika looked in the mirror, aiming for the centre of her forehead so that she could precisely apply the tiny golden bindi on it, she allowed herself a moment to get swayed. And listen to her heart as it whispered a scenario to her. 

She felt a sweet ache in her heart as she imagined Jack at a wedding. As she brushed her hair, she looked at herself in the mirror and saw her face change. 

She had a glow as she smiled by merely imagining a stranger. 

She closed her eyes and let out a breath. 

"Stop acting like you're in a Bollywood movie. No songs are going to be played in the background. And Jack's name is certainly not going to pop up on your screen. It's been a while since it has. Besides you're doing way too good, acing that self control of yours. He's got his own life and you've got your own. We take in all the moments your lives intersect but you have to remember that these moments are and will always be...handful."

Bhavika swallowed her wishes and sighed at her reflection. 

"For someone who's always marvelling at everyone including herself when she gets ready, you look strangely sad. What happened, my dear?"

Sharada fell in the category of the mothers who somehow always knew without knowing. 

"Your daughter was dreaming. As always." 

"Then dream without worrying if it'd come true, dear. Who knows what you'll manifest." 

Bhavika's smile was slow because she was thinking about what her mother had just said. So what if some dreams are drafts? They don't have to cause pain by the burden of being a draft, instead they can entertain, as long as she remembers they're all but dreams.