Chapter 3 - Max's POV

Bleep! Bleep! BLEEP!

The alarm wakes me up and I can feel the sun on my face. My whole body aches. I roll over, looking for my phone to turn off my alarm. As I reach out my hand, my weight shifts and I fall off my bed...no, it's a couch. I crack my eyes open to see that I fell off a sofa and onto a rug. Now I am lost, nowhere in my dorm is there a rug.

Bleep!

Right, my alarm. I grab my phone from the table next to the sofa and disable the alarm so it doesn't go off the rest of break. Using the table for support, I then get off of the ground, only to collapse back on the couch in pain.

"Damnit!" I yell.

From behind me, I hear a sigh and someone gently pushes me back into a lying position.

"Don't get up so fast, Freshman. You're going to ache for a while after last night."

"Brad!?" Why am I here with him and what the hell happened last night? I rifle through my memories, but the last thing I can remember is heading back from the skate park, freezing as I forgot a coat. "What happened?"

"You collapsed outside last night. I happened to be there and brought you here, where I discovered your idiotic brain didn't wear anything warm and was covered with frostbite. Luckily it wasn't too far developed, or you'd probably be missing some fingers. Speaking of the incident though, why weren't you layered in clothing?"

"That's my personal business, don't worry about it." I didn't want him to know my father had to work through the holidays, he'd probably make fun of me for being poor or something.

"Fine, Freshman. But don't think I'm giving up on figuring out why you're here. Now, would you like some breakfast, since I guess I can't let you starve under my roof."

My stomach growled.

"Yes please."

- - -

Brad came back with a plate of perfectly scrambled eggs and fluffy pancakes. My stomach growled at the sight.

He handed me the plate and we sat in silence for a while as I scarfed down the food. It was absolutely delicious. As I finished, Brad cleared his throat, gaining my attention.

"Hey, um, I was wondering if maybe you'd forgive me for the X Games incident and we could...be friends?"