Chapter 3

As the ferry approaches the island, a knot of tension tightens in my chest. Arclyven's concerned gaze weighs heavily on me, his probing questions hanging in the air like a thick fog.

"Hurelor," she begins gently, "Tell me what happened..."

I shift uncomfortably, my eyes fixed on the horizon as if searching for an escape. "We... We just needed to get away for a while. I don't want to risk going home though," I reply evasively, my voice barely above a whisper.

She furrows her brow, sensing there is more to my story. We walk through the bustling pathways of the island. Tourists wander around us, their laughter and chatter blending with the sound of the ocean waves. Colorful market stalls line the path, selling handmade crafts and tropical fruits.

We reach a charming guesthouse nestled among the palm trees, its open veranda inviting wicker chairs and hanging lanterns swaying in the gentle breeze. She guides me inside, where the lobby is abuzz with travelers checking in and sharing stories of their adventures.

"Hi, Ms. Archyy," one of the staff greets her. She turns her gaze towards me, smiling. "Good day, ma'am." I smile back.

"Hi Sistrine, can you take our son for awhile. Roam them around here. We'll be back. Thank you."

"Sure, Ms. Archyy."

"And if they look for us, we're just in the guest lounge on the third floor," I added.

"Got it," she replies with a nod.

"Follow me," she says, her voice steady and reassuring. She leads me to an elevator at the back of the lobby, and we ascend to the third floor. The ride is short, but I feel a growing sense of relief with each passing second.

We stop in front of a door marked "Guest Lounge."

She opens the door and ushers me into the cozy room. It was tastefully decorated with rattan furniture and bright, floral cushions. Large windows overlooked the pristine beach, and the sound of the surf is a soothing backdrop.

"Sit here," she says, directing me to a comfortable armchair by the window. She takes the seat across from me, her eyes full of empathy and concern.

"Now," she says gently, "tell me what's going on. Where is your husband?"

My heart pounds in my chest, the truth threatening to spill forth like a torrent. "It's... it's complicated," I admit, my voice trembling with uncertainty.

Concern etches across her face, Arclyven reaches out to comfort me, gently tapping my back. But as her hand makes contact, I wince in pain, a sharp gasp escaping my lips.

Confusion cloudes her features as she withdrew her hand, her concern deepening. "Hurelor, what's wrong? Did I hurt you?"

I shake my head, tears flowing freely now. "No, hhmm," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "I... I have bruises."

Shock registers on Arclyven's face as she processes my words. "Bruises? Hurelor...."

And so, I begin to unravel the painful truth of my life with my abusive husband. I recount the nights he stumbles home drunk, the rage in his eyes as he lashes out at me, and the betrayal I feel when I discover his infidelity with my own step sister.

Arclyven's expression darkens with anger as she processes my confession. "Hurelor, why didn't you tell me sooner?" she asks, frustration evident in her voice.

I wipe away my tears, a sense of shame washing over me. "I didn't want to burden anyone with my problems," I admit softly.

Arclyven's eyes fill with sadness as she reaches out to comfort me. "Hurelor, you don't have to face this alone. I'm here for you, always."

I shake my head, my tears continuing to fall. "I was scared," I admit, my voice barely audible. "I didn't know who to turn to."

"I'm here Hurelor, I'm here." Arclyven says softly, squeezing my hand gently and wiping away my tears.

A sudden knock on the door breaks the tension, startling us both. Opening it, we are greeted by the sight of our sons, their innocent smiles a welcome distraction from the darkness that had engulfed us.

"Can Lavem and I play with the sand, Mom?" Arclyven's son asks eagerly.

I exchange a nod with Arclyven before granting permission, my mind reeling with the weight of my confession.

"Of course, go ahead," I force a smile, trying to push aside the turmoil within.

Arclyven glances at Sistrine, "We will come there too."

Passing through the lobby, we spot our sons playing in the sand, their laughter filling the air as they build sandcastles.

The sun is now setting, casting a warm golden glow over the beach. I notice a crowd of tourists gathering nearby, their cameras poised to capture the stunning sunset.

"Woooww!" Our son exclaims. Approaching our boys, we join them in the sand.

"It's so beautiful," I say, wrapping my arms around Lavem and kissing his head.

After spending a few minutes there, we finally make our way to the dining area. The tantalizing aroma of freshly cooked food greets us as we take our seats at the table.

"I'm hungry!" Lavem declares, eagerly eyeing the dishes in front of us.

"Me too," Yaruv agrees, giggling.

Settling into our seats, we enjoy a delicious dinner together.

"Mommy, can I sleep with Yaruv?" Lavem asks.

"Yes, mommy, please," Yaruv pleads with Archy. I just laugh, seeing their eager faces.

"Okay, okay. But you two should sleep early, huh? No more games when it's bedtime," I say.

"We could watch a movie together," Archy added.

"Yeeeyy!" our son exclaims.

"I sent some clothes to your room for Lavem to change into. They're Yaruv's clothes too, so they'll fit."

"Thank you, Archy." My heart fills with happiness seeing Lavem enjoying his time here.

"Mommy, I'm done brushing my teeth," Lavem announces, appearing in front of me.

"Aww, let's change your clothes now."

"Laveeeeemmmm!" I hear Yaruv's loud voice as he suddenly opens the door. "Let's go, the movie is starting now." They rush into the other room.

"Heepp, be careful," I shout, following them.

"Hyss, hahhaa," I see them already lying on the bed with Archy on one side of them. I walk to the bed and lie down on the other side.

I check the clock on my phone, and it is already 8:36. They start closing their eyes, and Archy lowers the volume.

"They're asleep now," Archy whispers.

I brush my son's hair and kiss his forehead. "I'm going to take him to our room." I slowly carry him and place him in our bed. I cover him with a blanket and stare at his face.

I can see the resemblance to his father. He has a pointed nose, thick eyebrows, long eyelashes, and those blue eyes. He's so handsome.

He really makes me complete. "I love you, my Lavem."

I try to close my eyes, but sleep eludes me. Tossing and turning, I finally give up and get out of bed. I walk to the window and look out at the calm island, the gentle sounds of the night beckoning me.

Deciding to take a walk, I quietly slip out of the room and make my way to the seashore. The night air is cool, and a few people are still roaming around, enjoying their evening. Some couples strolled hand in hand, while others chat softly under the stars.

I wander along the beach, the sand cool beneath my feet. As I stare out at the vast sea, my eyes fixed on the horizon, I feel a strange sense of understanding emanating from the water. It is as if the sea can feel my turmoil and is silently offering its solace.

A soft drizzle begins, and I feel the raindrops on my shoulders. The gentle rain transports me back to a memory, one etched deeply in my heart. It is raining that day too, the day I meet my husband.