Chapter 2- Light

12 years ago

♪Blinding Lights♪

⚔Light⚔

"Daddy!" said the little girl. "Why are you dressed like that? You look so funny."

The little girl started giggling. When her father heard this, he laughed. "This is what I'm wearing to protect me," he said. "That's what you wear in war."

"What does it protect you for?" he said curiously, "You don't need protection. I will protect you."

The little girl jumped on her father's neck. "Of course you will protect me," said her father. "But I still have to wear this. As a precaution."

"I don't understand why you want to be protected by a suit," said the girl. "There are many soldiers working on your mission and they're all protecting you."

"You'll understand that when you're a little older, Zelain." "Now go play."

Zelain still had questions. But as always, his father refused to answer them.

When Zelain was born, his father, Lord Louhpes, had sensed something different about him. He was born with red hair, which hadn't been seen for centuries. Not since the outbreak of the war.

The war between Viddlesea and Nivin had been going on for a hundred years. At first, people had magical powers, but after the war broke out, these powers disappeared. To appease the people, the rulers then spread the lie that these powers were harmful and that the gods had taken them away to save the people. After these events, the people began to hate magic and powers.

Both kingdoms destroyed everything related to power. At first, they destroyed only magical items and objects. Then they destroyed the sources of knowledge about magic, that is, books of magic. They captured the vast majority of dragons and slaughtered them mercilessly. Of course, there were still rumours that the dragons were hiding behind the mountains of Margeria.

After that, it was pure slaughter. Rumours began to spread that red-haired people were the guardians of the dragons. So both kingdoms executed their red-haired citizens.

When Lord Louhpes had a red-haired daughter, the first thing he thought about was how to raise her. He should hide her from the people and other kingdom elders. Or if it was discovered that she had red hair, it could cost her her life. That was his greatest fear.

Normally, when the lord had a child, he would first be blessed in front of all the people. However, the Lord did not perform this ceremony, fearing that his great secret would be revealed. This made the people suspicious of him.

- - -

"Viddlesea," I said. "The Neveth region."

It had been two days since we set out. Finally, when the horses were tired, we had a chance to rest.

We were travelling at full speed when we saw a tavern up ahead. So the old man said that we should stop and spend the night here.

We tied the horses to the fence with a rope. As everyone was getting off the horse, a white-haired, blue-eyed man stood in front of me.

"My lady," he said in a calm voice. "Do you need help?"

I just looked at his face. After a while he realised what my gaze meant and left with the others.

I couldn't risk my chances. I had been hiding since my hair turned red. They would have executed me the moment they saw the colour of my hair. I couldn't trust anyone. Not even my mum.