A Heartbreaking Loss

Sara sat in the cozy corner of her living room, absentmindedly rubbing her growing belly. She was just shy of twelve weeks pregnant and had finally started to feel excited about the baby. Her renewed connection with Liam had brought some stability and hope into her life. Despite the lingering feelings for Will, she had chosen to focus on her relationship with Liam and the future they were building together. Will was just a neighbour, that's what she kept telling herself.

It was a crisp autumn afternoon outside, whilst Sara was delivering a session to the first year apprentices for Electrical. About halfway through the session, Sara first first noticed something was wrong. A sharp pain shot through her lower abdomen, causing her to double over in discomfort. Panic set in as she felt a warm, wet sensation. She rushed out of the classroom to the bathroom, her heart pounding.

"No, no, no," she whispered, tears streaming down her face as she saw the blood. She knew something was terribly wrong.

Sara called Liam immediately, but there was no answer. He had mentioned earlier that day that he might be unreachable due to an important meeting. Sara tried to stay calm as she left urgent messages, pleading for him to call her back.

Unable to wait any longer, Sara called Jessica to take her to the hospital. The drive there was a blur of agony and uncertainty. By the time she arrived at the emergency room, the pain had intensified, and she was struggling to stay calm.

In the hospital, Sara was swiftly attended to by a team of medical professionals. They ran tests, performed examinations, and eventually confirmed her worst fears: she was having a miscarriage. The baby she had started to dream about, to hope for, was gone.

Throughout the ordeal, Sara felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness. Liam's absence during such a critical moment only magnified her feelings of isolation and despair. She tried to reach him again, leaving multiple voicemails and messages, but there was no response.

After the initial shock wore off and the medical procedures were completed, Sara was discharged with instructions to rest and follow up with her obstetrician. She returned home, physically and emotionally exhausted with Jessica at tow.

"You're staying in my room!" Jessica demanded.

"I want to be on my own" Sara responded numbly.

"It wasn't an option" Jessica exclaimed and Sara had no energy to argue so she followed Jessica to her hall room, bypassing the apprentices who looked at her knowingly what happened earlier that day.

Later that evening, Sara sat on the edge of Jessica's bed, staring blankly at the wall. The room felt overcrowded with her own presence, yet still she couldn't shake the feeling of abandonment from Liam, even though she understood intellectually that his absence was likely due to unforeseen circumstances. However the 15 missed calls and 3 voicemails directed from her to him didn't ease her mind.

As the night wore on, Sara couldn't hold back the tears any longer. She cried for the loss of her baby, for the pain in her body, and for the emotional turmoil she was experiencing. She felt adrift, unsure of how to navigate the aftermath of the miscarriage.

The next morning, Sara woke up to a knock on Jessica's door. Jessica was no where to be seen but a note left on the bedside table confirmed she 'popped out'.

"What did you forgot?" Sara asked as she opened the door, expecting it to be Jessica. Unbeknown to her, she opened the door to Liam standing there, his face drawn with worry and regret.

"Sara, I'm so sorry," he said, his voice thick with emotion. "I didn't mean to leave you alone yesterday. My ex-girlfriend called me, and she needed my support. I didn't have my phone with me as I left it in the car."

Sara's heart sank at his words. The pain of losing their baby was still raw, and now she had to contend with Liam's absence during her time of need. She struggled to find the right words, torn between anger and sadness.

"I needed you, Liam," she whispered, tears welling up in her eyes once more. "And you were with your ex-girlfriend of all people.

He stepped closer, reaching out to gently touch her arm. "I know, Sara. And I failed you. I should have been there."

They stood there in silence for a moment, the weight of their shared grief hanging heavily between them. Liam took a deep breath, his voice filled with determination.

"I'm here now, Sara. Please let me be here for you."

Sara looked into his eyes, seeing the sincerity and love there. Despite everything, she knew that Liam cared deeply for her. She nodded slowly, allowing him to come inside whilst she processed everything.

Over the following days, Liam stayed by Sara's side, offering comfort and support. He made sure she ate, helped her travel back down to York, helped her around the apartment, and listened to her as she processed her grief. Despite the initial hurt of his absence, Sara began to realize how much she relied on Liam's presence and strength.

One evening, as they sat together on the couch, Sara finally found the courage to speak about her feelings.

"Liam, I've been thinking a lot," she started, her voice soft but steady. "About us, about everything that's happened."

He looked at her, his expression gentle and attentive.

"I still love you, Liam," she continued, her heart heavy with emotion. "But I can't ignore how disconnected I felt when you weren't there for me when I needed you the most."

Liam's eyes filled with regret. "I'm so sorry, Sara. I promise you, I will do better. I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

Sara nodded, her gaze searching his face. "I want to believe that, Liam. But I need time to heal, to process everything that's happened."

He reached out and took her hand, his touch warm and reassuring. "Take all the time you need, Sara. I'll be here, waiting for you."

As they sat together in the quiet of her apartment, Sara felt a glimmer of hope. The road ahead would be challenging, filled with grief and uncertainty. But with Liam's unwavering support and her own strength, she knew she could find a way through it.