CHAPTER 4

The Insulting Offer
The room hushed as Adrian finished his sentence. My defiance felt like a pebble tossed into a viper's pit. The vampires watched, their expressions a mix of morbid amusement and predatory curiosity.
"Serve as your court jester?" I scoffed, pushing past the fear that threatened to choke me. "Surely there's a more fitting punishment for insulting a lord."
A sardonic smile played on Adrian's lips. "Punishment? Miss Vance, I see this not as retribution, but an opportunity." His gaze flickered across my defiant form.  "Your art possesses a vitality that intrigues me.  A willingness to expose the ugliness beneath the surface."
He gestured towards a nearby servant, who scurried forward with a rolled canvas. As it unfurled, a collective gasp swept through the room. It was my portrait of Adrian – a stark, brutal depiction that laid bare the ruthless glint in his eyes and the predator lurking beneath his aristocratic facade.
But what truly shocked me was a flicker of vulnerability captured on the canvas, an emotion I hadn't consciously aimed for.  A ripple of unease passed through the room, the vampires exchanging nervous glances. This portrait wasn't just an insult, it was a glimpse into a darkness they preferred hidden.
Adrian's gaze remained fixed on the portrait, his expression unreadable. Finally, he turned back to me. "Fascinating," he murmured, his voice devoid of anger. "You see me, Miss Vance, in a way few dare to."
He took a slow sip from his goblet, the crimson liquid staining his lips red. "Tell me," he continued, his voice a low rumble, "would you be interested in painting more portraits like this? To capture the essence of my world, not just its gilded facade?"
My heart hammered in my chest. Freedom, however perilous, sounded infinitely more appealing than the cold fear that had gripped me since my capture. But the price tag seemed steep – becoming a chronicler of their dark world.
"And what," I finally dared to ask, "would be the price of such an…arrangement, Lord Blackwood?"
A slow smile spread across his face, sending a shiver down my spine. "Your freedom, Miss Vance, but under certain conditions."