Chapter seven

***Hey guys, so I've tried really hard to stick with a schedule lately. I've tried it in the past, so I'll see how this time goes. 

Anyway, I'm currently writing two stories that I'm focusing on (Viti and The Unknown Alpha) so I'm trying to get a chapter out for each at least once a week. That way, I'll update more often. 

I hope it all goes according to plans. 

Anyway, enjoy this latest chapter. Remember to vote and comment. Let me know what you think. I'd appreciate it***

That night, as Grace was scooping a generous amount of homemade pasta sauce onto chicken breasts, Angela walked in the door. Grace could hear her as she struggled out of her boots and stumble down the hall.

Adding a handful of grated cheese onto the chicken, Grace slid the tray back into the oven to finish cooking. Angela stopped in the kitchen, took a deep inhale, before making her way to the counter.

"Smells good, sis." Angela put her small back bag on the table, beside Nina who was finishing her homework.

"Chicken parmigiana," Grace announced proudly, washing out a metal bowl at the sink and leave it on the bench to dry. It was a miracle Grace had time to cook anything, considering how long it took to clean the apartment earlier. Thankfully, whatever the hell happened didn't seem to have occurred in any of the bedrooms or down the hall.

Still – Grace couldn't stop thinking about it. It was so weird. Like something out of a movie.

Angela switched on the television, before she returned back to the counter after a moment. "Hey, you wanna tell me what the hell happened to the photos?" She swept an arm towards some of the black and white frames photo frames that had decorated the walls of the lounge last night. Now, some of the frames were broken, and none of them remained with glass at all. She raised her eyebrows at her youngest sister, who sat there stunned.

"Who? Me?" Nina gaped. "I didn't do anything!"

"Really?" Angela rested a hand on her hip and continued with her accusatory stare. If anyone was going to break things, it would be Nina. Not that Nina was a bad kid, but reckless. The kind of kid to kick a soccer ball down the hall and shatter a glass table.

"It wasn't her." It would have been easy to blame her sister, but that would just cause more trouble than it was worth. Grace swallowed deeply as both her sister's turned their gaze on her. Grace had to think quickly. "I think there was an earthquake or something. Things just started . . . falling." Definitely a lie, but it was all she could think of in the moment. 'Falling' was the best fit she had. She couldn't tell her sisters that things started flying around.

Angela accepted the answer with a slight frown. "I didn't hear about an earthquake."

Grace turned her attention to her coffee mug, her hands wrapping round the ceramic handle. "I think it was rather small." Yeah, one that just affected the lounge and kitchen.

Feeling uncomfortable, Grace busied herself with making a salad for dinner. She hoped her sister would move on, and after another long moment, Angela did. She found something else to focus on.

"How's Howlett?"

Grace winced as she recalled the floating clock. But there was no way her sister could know about that. She turned slightly as she washed a bowl of lettuce. "Okay. I think. He wants you to call him."

Angela nodded, her mind clearly elsewhere. While Grace finished getting dinner ready, Angela disappeared into her bedroom, and didn't emerge again until Nina started shouting that dinner was ready.