Chapter 2

My eyes fluttered open as I tried to take in my surroundings. I got up with a jerk; I was on my bed, in the very room I had left before the ceremony.

My black gown was gone; instead I was wearing a light pink satin nightdress that reached my knees. I touched my face, my hair, all the ornaments, everything was gone. What just happened?

The last I remembered was when I was at the altar and the ceremony was coming to an end. I squinted my eyes as I tried to recall what had happened after I drank from the vessel but nothing came to me. There were no memories as of how the ceremony ended or how I reached here.

I crawled down from the bed and walked towards the door of my room. I grabbed the doorknob and tried to pull it but it was locked, from the outside.

Ever since I was a little girl, I had seen, known, everything that happened up until the ceremony. But what happened afterwards was a mystery, and not just to me but to everyone, everyone except the bride herself.

A cool breeze travelled across the room and made me shiver. The material of the dress was too thin and it often got cold at night. I ran towards the window and tried to close it. The wind was too strong. As I was about to shut the window’s glass door, my eyes caught the sight of something in the garden below. It was sudden, like a shadow, and when I looked again, it was gone. Who would be out in the garden at this time?

All the girls were directed to their rooms soon after the ceremony ended and their doors were always locked from the outside.

Discarding my thoughts, I closed the window and once again slumped on the bed covering myself under the sheets, trying to make sense of what was happening. It was past midnight, soon the sun would come up, I had no idea about what I was supposed to do. What if the Devil neither accepts me nor rejects me? What would happen to me then? What would Mother do?

The moment my back rested against the soft mattress, all of the exhaustion and fatigue caught up to me. And in a matter of seconds my eyes fluttered close, again, as I fell into deep slumber leaving the worries of tomorrow on the next dawn.

A gasp escaped my lips as I felt a slap of the cold air against my core. A flick, a pinch and then that breeze again. I arched my back as my eyes snapped open. The window that I had clearly shut was wide open, its glass door banging against the wall giving free access to the cold wind.

The candles had all blown out and the room was dark. My nightdress was pulled up till my waist and my covers were thrown out of the bed on the floor.

My body went extremely still when I felt a hot breathe on my neck. My fists curled up against the soft mattress as my breaths came out in short, ragged gasps.

A pause and I felt it again on the other side, this time. My body was heating up, I could feel it. I didn’t have to look in a mirror to know that my cheeks were crimson by now from the blood rushing into them. I felt a slight caress against my neck; I tilted my head to other side exposing it. A moan escaped me. My grip on the bed sheet became stronger.

“How...” I barely managed to make out the words. The straps of my nightdress fell off my shoulders. I lied down on my back on the mattress as I felt shivers all over my body.

A touch as light as a feather removed the nightdress, exposing my breasts to the cold air. I stifled another moan biting my lower lip. I couldn’t see the one inducing this onslaught on my body, but I could feel the touch everywhere.

I gasped as I felt his hot breathe once again, between my legs. “Please…” I begged, my mind clouded with a hundred different emotions of pleasure and agony.