Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9: Gᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ Wᴀsᴛᴇ

The Baroness stared at the Duke, her countenance stricken with shock

The Baroness stared at the Duke, her countenance stricken with shock. The handkerchief was now clenched tightly in her grasp. Was the Duke unwell? Had he taken ill, or had she simply misheard him?

"Adelia, Your Grace?" A burst of incredulous laughter escaped her lips, quickly stifled as the Duke's expression held firm. "This is quite unexpected. Our Isabella has been prepared for this union for many years. She is studious, intelligent, and holds great fondness for you. Surely, you have seen these qualities yourself during your visit? Is there something amiss that has troubled you? I am confident we can address any concerns."

The Duke shook his head gently. "Please do not misunderstand me. I intend no disrespect. Lady Isabella possesses many admirable qualities—intelligence, grace, discipline... I see clearly the dedication with which you have nurtured and prepared her for a future befitting her station."

"Then may I ask what the concern is, Your Grace?" the Baron interjected, his voice filled with equal parts shock and concern. "Adelia is... she is my youngest. Her spirit, while endearing, may not yet align with the duties expected of a Duchess. I fear she will fall short of your expectations."

The Duke was an intelligent man. He saw clearly through the facade of concern the Baron was presenting on his behalf. Throughout his visit, the Baron's affection for his youngest had been quite transparent, evident in every glance and every word spoken in her defence. It was not so much a matter of Adelia's suitability as the Baron was suggesting, but rather his heart's deep attachment to his daughter that made him reluctant to consider parting with her.

The Duke regarded the Baron's fretful expression with calm reassurance. "Though I have not experienced fatherhood myself, I appreciate the protectiveness one feels for their youngest." The colour that crept over the Baron's cheeks confirmed the Duke's silent observations.

"Your affection for Adelia is evident," the Duke said gently. "Your concern reveals not a question of her abilities, but the bond you share with her. Such love is commendable and should not be hidden."

"Your Grace," the Baroness said, her voice trembling slightly. The Duke's eyes fell briefly upon her tightly clenched fists before returning to meet her gaze. "What my husband says is true. Adelia's spirited nature will undoubtedly pose challenges in conforming to the traditions expected of noble rank. This, we regretfully admit, is a shortcoming on our part as parents. Please, Your Grace, you must understand the delicate position in which we find ourselves. We strive not to bring dishonour upon our family and certainly not upon yours."

"It is precisely Adelia's spirit and authenticity that have captured my heart. She is unlike any woman I have ever known," the Duke replied simply.

"Your Grace, Isabella has been betrothed to you since childhood. She is fully prepared. Let us not alter what has already been agreed upon," the Baroness pleaded. Sensing the urgency in her voice, the Baron's hand found hers, enveloping it gently.