Chapter 8

"So, you're Jack's stepdaughter," Caspian says, joining me on the balcony just as Papa and Para make their exit. "I've seen you around a lot and didn't even know that. Will you be going back to modeling soon?"

"Who knows?" I take a sip of my white wine, letting it swirl in the glass. "I'm still open to possibilities. Maybe in the next three to five years, but not right now." This year is full of plans, and I'm content with my life away from the camera.

"What are you up to these days? What do you do for a living?"

Good God, he has a lot of questions.

"I blog about the places I visit, so I travel a lot for that." I purse my lips, savoring the exquisite taste of the wine. Midways' track record speaks for itself—they have never failed in any field. Their beverages consistently deliver, never failing to impress.

"Sounds like you're having fun," he remarks.

Of course, I think, gazing out at the world before me. I own my time, I am my own chief—what more could I want?

"You bet," I reply, resting my arms on the railing while he leans against it.

"Are you in a relationship?" That's quite a question. How could he think I was? I wouldn't be there if I were.

I raise an eyebrow. "You should have thought of that before claiming to be your girlfriend, Caspian."

He smirks. "I like the way you say my name. Caspian has never sounded so sexy until you said it."

"Ha-ha," I say sarcastically, watching the sun dip below the horizon. "For your information, my dad raised me well. I don't go around sleeping with just anyone. Just because you think my mom was a cheater doesn't mean I am, or ever will be."

As I utter those words, my attention shifts back to the breathtaking view ahead. The tranquil waters of Lake Garda gently lap against the shores of Desenzano del Garda. The town's colorful buildings line the waterfront, creating a picturesque scene. I raise my digital single-lens reflex camera, its cord draped around my neck, and capture the scene in front of me, the setting sun casting a warm, golden glow, painting the sky with shades of orange and pink.

"I didn't say that, Poppy." His reaction betrays his surprise at my assertion. "I know the real story between them. If you think I don't like your mom as a person, you're wrong. If there's someone to blame, it would be your dad. I didn't even think you guys were close."

Judging by what comes out of his mouth, Papa must have spoken to him about it. If there's one thing Papa would never tire of, it's clearing Mom's name.

"You don't get it. My father is Papa. The biological one is just a sperm donor to me."

"Rumors are true, I like that."

I'm amazed at how popular I am with their circle. "I didn't know I had such a reputation. What rumors exactly?" I'm thrilled to hear what I've caused.

"That you're stone cold, kinda mean, and you say what's on your mind." He winks.

"Whatever."

"Jack said you like reading books, too."

What am I going to say to that? "So? Are you going to donate a lot more than I already have? Why are you talking so much?"

"I just have to get to know my girlfriend." He mutters, chuckling.

I groan. "Which reminds me, why did you tell my father we're in a relationship? What did you expect me to do earlier? Wake you up? Tell you I'm leaving? People usually just leave after a one-night stand and vanish, so why would you want me to not do what I did?"